General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Whistling from flywheel/clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Whistling from flywheel/clutch

Hi all,
My thread comes through some pain and gritted teeth. Firstly my motor!

Audi A4 B7 2.0 FSi on a 55 plate.

My problem is, I have a horrible high pitched whistling noise. It only happens when the engine is warm, nothing when I first start the engine. It's only there when I'm idling. When I put it into first and set off, nothing! It's frustrating the hell out of me.

It seemed to start after I removed the under shield. I had to do this because a large deep puddle ripped it to bits. I don't know if some crap has got into the clutch or something.

My revs are quite high and Engine Man Light keeps coming on but when I checked that out it said Lean Fuel or something along those lines. Not sure if this is related or not.

I have just had the clutch and dual mass flywheel changed.

If anyone can help me I would truly appreciated it. I'm tempted to scrap the effin car. Oh and I hate emojis!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

You need a PCV valve. They have an open recall on them. Go to your Audi dealer as they are now covered for 10 years-10,000 miles if I am not mistaken.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Do you speak from experience sincity?

Sounds good to me if it's at Audi's cost. Although i'll now need a list as long as my arm doing as well.

I will post back on the result. Thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

Yes I know from 8 years factory experiance.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

Sounds good enough to me. Spoke to Audi an they say no outstanding recalls to do with valve but ignition coils. I'll change the PCV in any case.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

whats ur VIN? I can look it up

Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

VIN is: WAUZZZ8EX6A020435
I've just spoken with GSF and the chap there said there is an engine block breather and a boost presure control valve. Now this is confusing me.

Greatly appreciate all your help sincity.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nicbazwilly
VIN is: WAUZZZ8EX6A020435
I've just spoken with GSF and the chap there said there is an engine block breather and a boost presure control valve. Now this is confusing me.

Greatly appreciate all your help sincity.

the pressure control valve is the PCV valve.. other terms for "PCV" include "PRV or Pressure regulated valve" "PCV or Positive Crank case Ventilation"

Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

I have picked up the Boost Pressure Control Valve at the weekend and had a quick look to try and locate the old one. Can anybody guide me to where it is located on A4 B7. Other than that i'll have to take it into the garage this week sometime.

SIn City. Did you have any joy with my VIN?

Cheers

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I have been on vacation... I will check it at work tomorrow.. Your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve sits on top of the engine next to the valve cover and fuel rail.. It's held on by three T25 tori screws and the new one will have a orange gasket with it.. There are two hoses attacked, one is easy to disconnect but the other hose towards the back of it is a little tough to get off without breaking.. If you carefully work it loose side by side you can get it of without breaking.. The new part number should have a "P" suffix and typically when a dealership replaces it we also replace the turbo vent valve line which is the big metal vent line that comes up from the top of the turbo to the valve cover.. It has a check valve that blows out and cause boost pressure to pressurize the valve cover and cause oil leaks.. The replacement hose has an upgraded check valves to prevent that..

Quick Reply: Whistling from flywheel/clutch