General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Who to contact at Audi Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Who to contact at Audi Canada...

Hey All,

I have an unfortunate but all too common story.

2009 A4 Avant, 2.0T auto, 220,000 km, Quattro, P0016

Threw a code on a family vacation, so I used my OBDII scanner to pull the code. The code is P0016, and has to do with timing. I called the dealer that was about 100 km away (Audi Downtown Vancouver) to see if it was safe to drive in or if I should tow it, knowing this had a timing chain rather than belt. The Assistant Service Manager told me right away that it would be no problem. I stopped him and told him the story of my 2008 Passat that had the timing belt break prematurely 40,000 km after being changed and told him he'd have to be more sure than just giving me an off the cuff answer. He put me on hold to check with the Shop Foreman and reassured me that "as long as it starts, you've got nothing to worry about".

So I hit the start button only to hear that horrible tap tap tapping of the valves playing kissy face with the pistons.

At this point the dealership has refused to take any responsibility and, after doing a bunch of surgery "on their dime", has determined that they won't do anything for me because the service interval of 15,000 km was exceeded by almost 10,000 km. Last service was 203,000 km and it's a currently at 227,000 km. Interestingly enough, I have a document from Audi Canada that shows its right on schedule with 25,000 km intervals after 175,000 km (you'll find it here: http://www.audi.ca/etc/medialib/ngw/ca/etc/your_audi/care_and_maintenance.Par.0011.File.pdf/my2009_english.

​​​They have determined the failure was either the hydraulic chain tensioner (they have since redesigned the tensioner from a hydraulic powered version to a spring powered version) or the chain guide. They want $7-12,000 to fix/replace the engine.

So here I am, a single dad with 3 kids, left to fight this on my own with no help from the idiots who I should have been able to trust. I know, I know, these cars have a high cost to maintain, but let's be real - I should have been able to trust their advice. That's why I was calling the higher price dealer rather than an independent. The little independent shop I had come look at it after it happened told me that you never start these cars when they have a timing issue. If they know it, every Audi dealer should know that too. This is probably the most common engine they see in their shops.

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm prepared to take the dealer to court, but would like to play out the paths of least resistance first. Anyone have the phone number for the person at Audi Canada who manages the goodwill program?!?

It's important to note that this is my 6th VW/Audi, so I'm not new to the world of German vehicles.