AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   2.8 custom intake questions. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/2-8-custom-intake-questions-122932/)

JG99AudiA4 01-15-2009 10:01 PM

2.8 custom intake questions.

Hi...im trying to make a custom intake for my 99.5 2.8. I have a K&N cone filter, intake piping, rubber fittings, clamps, etc.

but i cannot seem to find a place to put the air mass sensor (i think thats what it is...it has 4 bolts that connect it to the stock airbox. it has a small screen in it. a plug connects to it also.)

I thought i was golden with it just chilling on the side, but my power steering went, then i lost alot of power, then i stalled. i didnt even make it a 1/10 of a mile.

please help...where can i put this sensor so it will work properly?
thanks.

2001A6 01-17-2009 02:09 AM

Look at the intake on K&Ns web site. Maybe you can get an idea from the pics they have.

JG99AudiA4 01-18-2009 11:52 AM

Okay, thanks. Anyone else have any other tips?

Logikal 01-18-2009 08:54 PM

They do make an adapter which you can buy to adapt the sensor to the intake just after the cone.

somebody5788 01-19-2009 11:10 AM

Sell your car..... mass air is essential for proper running. You lose hp w/o it. Should of just bought an ebay cai at this point... would of cost the same.

Logikal 01-19-2009 11:54 AM

Yes but he accomplished the fact that he made something and learned something new. There are very few moments when DIY is actually cheaper then buying off the shelf except when it comes to labor. But with proper planning you can step back and say I made this which adds that personal touch that everyone wants to add to there cars.

JG99AudiA4 01-19-2009 11:59 PM

First off somebody, i returned everything to stock right after that and it runs the way it should. and i didnt waste any money, i had parts left over from the last intake i might. I did a little more research and the only way (that ive found) to keep the MAS in its place is to use a piece that K&N ncludes with their intake kit, but they do not sell that part by itself. i would need to purchase the kit for 155.

has anyone had any experience with k&n intake kits for 2.8?

somebody5788 01-21-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JG99AudiA4 (Post 1027771)
First off somebody, i returned everything to stock right after that and it runs the way it should. and i didnt waste any money, i had parts left over from the last intake i might. I did a little more research and the only way (that ive found) to keep the MAS in its place is to use a piece that K&N ncludes with their intake kit, but they do not sell that part by itself. i would need to purchase the kit for 155.

This is why I think an ebay kit should do it. Just put a good filter on and it should have the adapter. If the kits still on there anymore.

jayfly07 01-24-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JG99AudiA4 (Post 1027771)

I just installed the kit a few days ago with a few modifications. I was running a modified airbox the last year or so and other than increased sound it didn't do much. Anyway, I installed the K&N kit, and was a bit concerned with the small tube used to direct air flow to the filter from the front of the car. It only utilized a fraction of the opening. I added a larger tube in addition to the kit tube and fitted both with rubber boots to capture air. Both tube were then zip tied to the cone filter also using rubber boots as to not damage the filter. The increase in power is amazing. In the higher RPM's, I would guess at least 25 more hp. Also, the car has never ran so well. I was hesitant after reading so much negative posts about CAI's, but this is a must for any 2.8. I can post pics if anyone is interested

2001A6 01-24-2009 03:34 PM

Yeah, post em up man!!! Id like to see how the K&N set up looks. Their web site has crappy pics..