Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2.8 custom intake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2001A6
Yeah, post em up man!!! Id like to see how the K&N set up looks. Their web site has crappy pics..
I'll email them to you if that's ok...easier for me and less time consuming

Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jayfly07
The increase in power is amazing. In the higher RPM's, I would guess at least 25 more hp.
LMAO. Subtract at least 20hp from that estimate. The OEM setup with a factory paper filter flows very well for the engine's needs. Swapping to the intake may gain a few hp, but most of it is placebo effect.

It's still worth doing the mod, if only because you never buy another filter again in your life, and the sound above 4000RPM is great. But a 25hp gain? Absolutely not. Hell, my twin-turbo 300ZX gained 21hp from a K&N cone, and that was because it allowed the pair of turbos to breathe that much more easily. On a force-inducted car, depending on the design of the OEM air induction system, you stand a better chance of considerable gain. On an NA motor, not unless the OEM airbox was a soup can stuffed with sweat socks.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

^ Agree. The only reason I want one is for the sound. I gave up on trying to make my car "fast" along time ago. I just want it to sound great, to increase the joy of driving.
And remember, he is talking driver prospective, Im sure it feels like a big difference, sounds faster, pulls a little harder. And besides, who wants to say "at least a 5 hp gain!!!" LOL.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Yeah no doubt. I agree too on the speed aspect. My 2.8 30v was not intended to have sporting capability beyond an ability to handle decently and to be able to move out respectably. I'm not going to bother trying to change that drastically. If I was looking for a road-going cruise missile, I'd have kept my 515hp Z or bought something else that was designed with at least the idea that it could be fast. Nothing wrong with some basic mods (like a Speedtuning chip, intake, and axle-back - you'll gain a few hp and it's worth it) but going beyond that, at least on our engines, is a very serious case of diminishing returns. If it was that big a deal to me, I'd sell my car for a 1.8T.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

It is a big deal for me, but I will wait untill I can actually afford to buy and mod out a B5 S4. Its not worth it for this car. I have been thinking about a chip, but it will be a while.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM

can anybody tell me some sotes to go to to make my 2.8 performance

Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
LMAO. Subtract at least 20hp from that estimate. The OEM setup with a factory paper filter flows very well for the engine's needs. Swapping to the intake may gain a few hp, but most of it is placebo effect.

It's still worth doing the mod, if only because you never buy another filter again in your life, and the sound above 4000RPM is great. But a 25hp gain? Absolutely not. Hell, my twin-turbo 300ZX gained 21hp from a K&N cone, and that was because it allowed the pair of turbos to breathe that much more easily. On a force-inducted car, depending on the design of the OEM air induction system, you stand a better chance of considerable gain. On an NA motor, not unless the OEM airbox was a soup can stuffed with sweat socks.
Well you can say this or that, but I own the car. I have two air feeds to the filter. One from the fog lamp housing, one from the original air feed slot. That is what makes the difference. I ran the K&N with the cheap air feed tube that came with the kit and then my mods. Considerable increase to say the least. I also removed the screen between the filter and MAF. Yes, 25 HP increase at least. Especially at high speeds, it's a completely different car. No matter what your opinion, I'm loving it.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jayfly07
Well you can say this or that, but I own the car. I have two air feeds to the filter. One from the fog lamp housing, one from the original air feed slot. That is what makes the difference. I ran the K&N with the cheap air feed tube that came with the kit and then my mods. Considerable increase to say the least. I also removed the screen between the filter and MAF. Yes, 25 HP increase at least. Especially at high speeds, it's a completely different car. No matter what your opinion, I'm loving it.
i mean i guess all thats left to say is to each his own. all i know is that i have a K&N short ram set up on my 2.8 and there is no way it gained 25 hp. i think it may have lost a couple. that may have more to do with the fact that i think my timing is screwed up or a mess of other problems but i digress..... but 25 hp??? i know guys with evos wrxs and mazdaspeed6s that all have CAIs and theyre not gaining anywhere near that... not even the evo. you may wanna take it to the track or get it dynoed or something to make sure your just not overpowered by the awesome noise it makes. just my .02

Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

Heres my view, now having the intake done. When its cooler than 70 degrees, and the car isnt heat soaked, it feels much stronger. But the heat kills it. Heres a few pics, and a vid. Keep in mind, this is a 2.8 in an A6 Quattro, sorry for bouncy cam, I need a mount for it.

100% home made, custom heat shield isnt done yet, but it will be. Here is what you hear/feel...