Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Custom intake, didn't cost a thing, wanted to share

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Custom intake, didn't cost a thing, wanted to share

Wanted to share with you guys the custom intake i just made. Instead of going with a "Cold Air" intake that actually gets alot of hot air from the engine and can risk water injection, i simply adjusted the stock airbox.

My digital camera's broken... i hate roomates... [sm=chairshot.gif] but i'll get some pics up soon

Basically what i did was take out the base of the airbox part outside of the filter (not the "clean" side), and cut off the whole bottom of it, leaving the clips and shelf to still be able to mount the filter. so it's a square filter that's completely open, and still protected from the heat of the engine, which still gets the fresh air from the outside, just MUCH more of it.

I'll post some pics when i fix my camera

Old 05-29-2005, 04:38 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Custom intake, didn't cost a thing, wanted to share

So, aside from buying another air box, what do you do if you want to sell the car?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:43 AM
4th Gear

I did a diy of something better then this up in the diy forum.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

So, aside from buying another air box, what do you do if you want to sell the car?
Why would i have to change it if i sell the car? i think anyone who buys a car would appreciate a little extra oomph.....

And i don't know if i agree with you about the "better than this" part audiboy, instead of just some holes in the airbox, it's a full open filter, which is able to suck more air, meaning more O2 into the combustion chaimber, which means more explosion, and more power (Ideally.....) in addition it's not open to water or hot air like an open cone filter is.

I'll post some pics so it makes more sense.....

Old 10-30-2005, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

can you tell a difference though ... or hear one after changing the intake ... yes pics would be awsome...

Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

i can tell mostly in sound, it opened up the intake sound a ton, it sounds reeeaalllly nice now when i get on it..... can def hear the dual stage throttle body. as far as HP goes.... i have no idea, maybe smoothed it out a little? I got some pics on my buddies camera, just have to get them from him.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

yeah pics ! ... i might be considering this DIY mod ...

Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 AM
1st Gear

[IMG][/IMG]

Thats mine. Cost me the price of the filter, and pre-wrap. About $45 total.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

nice work. u have any type of heat sheild in mind? kinda like the k&n fipk setup? just wonderin? ne power diff? good design, its cool you can make it cause i havent seen ne aftermarket for b5 out there :-(

Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sandnsnow24

Wanted to share with you guys the custom intake i just made. Instead of going with a "Cold Air" intake that actually gets alot of hot air from the engine and can risk water injection, i simply adjusted the stock airbox.

My digital camera's broken... i hate roomates... [sm=chairshot.gif] but i'll get some pics up soon

Basically what i did was take out the base of the airbox part outside of the filter (not the "clean" side), and cut off the whole bottom of it, leaving the clips and shelf to still be able to mount the filter. so it's a square filter that's completely open, and still protected from the heat of the engine, which still gets the fresh air from the outside, just MUCH more of it.

I'll post some pics when i fix my camera
nice, sounds like a GAB aka the Ghetto Air Box. the maxima guys came up with that for their car a while back as a solution to the faux cold air intakes. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=181899 its a very creative and effective idea you have for the audi. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=266911 i know there's one guy who actually had a setup just like yours, except he attached a hose from the bottom of the airbox and placed it behind the bumper...

Quick Reply: Custom intake, didn't cost a thing, wanted to share