AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   Disappointed (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/disappointed-8664/)

hmbmason 04-17-2005 04:01 AM

Disappointed

Well I just got some Magnaflow mufflers (only) installed on my 03' A4 1.8T and I'm disappointed. I'm struggling to hear any difference in sound from the stock mufflers. I wasn't expecting anything extreme; just a nice subtle change from stock. Problem is, this is to subtle.

I haven't had a chance to talk with the muffler shop yet. Do mufflers need time to break in to sound a little louder? What's the next step in making the car sound a little louder without changing out everything and still keeping it smog legal? Right now I feel like I just threw away $200.

hmbmason 04-18-2005 03:40 PM

RE: Disappointed

Well, I just spoke to the exhaust shop. Their recommendation is to either section of the resonator or to replace it with straight pipe. Please let me know of any opinions or experience with this. Any drawbacks with these options such as the check engine light coming on, reduced low end power, O2 sensor, etc...

Pops 04-18-2005 06:35 PM

My Opinion...replace with direct pipe.

hmbmason 04-18-2005 08:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Will the straight pipe have any negative affect on the car? How would you clasify the sound increase; mild, moderate or loud?

Pops 04-18-2005 08:39 PM

Before replacing...do you research on the o2 sensor. Your check engine light will turn on! There has been post of this before. The sound will increase, you will certainly hear the difference. All exhaust have there different sound.

Frost GST 04-20-2005 02:01 PM

just removing the RESONATOR will not effect the O2 sensor. If they replace the cat that is when you need to worry about the CEL from the O2. The sound increase will probably be in the moderate range but does vary from car to car so it is hard to say for sure. Hope this helps.

Andy

hmbmason 04-20-2005 05:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. After reading some feedback on removing the resonator it sounds like there is a potential for a load drone sound coming into the car around 1800-3000 rpm.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback in sectioning the resonator?

grpayne 05-02-2005 10:02 PM

my magnaflow was very boomy! until i put a resonator at the mid point, after that i have a growl as i aproach mid to high revs, sounds just right!!

audiboy1618 05-05-2005 12:59 AM

My magnaflow sounds amazing. If you want it louder, sell your magnaflow mufflers and run 3in tubing and have a side exit exhaust, no cat, no mid muffler, and no tip muffler, this will take care of your stock sounding viechle.

Lyrad576 05-25-2005 02:26 PM

Hello,

I usually suggest at least a catback setup when you upgrade the exhaust. Your muffler alone isnt going to cause a great bit of difference unless your buying a cheapo ricer horn muffler. Since its Magnaflow its trying to make your exhaust smooth all the way through. But without the extra flow you are going to miss out on truly using the muffler to its fullest. So your basically running a small pipe all the way to the performance open muffler and by that time it might as well be going into the atmosphere since the flow isnt there.

Try a catback setup and see if you get better results. Oh and also dont go too big on diameter since this will simply help further the lack of flow but the greater diameter should give you some more resonance. There are some really smart people on exhaust systems and the whole scientifics about them so hopefully one of them will pipe up ... pun intended. :D

I wish we could get away with gutting exhausts here but Ohio is strict on exhaust systems. No cats would be nice ...

Good luck!