Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Not Loud Enough... Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Exhaust Not Loud Enough... Ideas???

I just installed a Borla Catback Exhaust system in my 01 A4 1.8T Quattro. It came with just the downpipe, mid-pipe and the muffler, but it was not as loud as I expected. Is that normal? Any way to increase the sound... i.e racing headers? I saw a review on APR's site that said after installing the Stage I ECU upgrade it made the exhaust sound better...

Also, just wondering... APR's site has a carbonio air intake for $350... is it worth the purchase?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PakMans Blue A4
I just installed a Borla Catback Exhaust system in my 01 A4 1.8T Quattro. It came with just the downpipe, mid-pipe and the muffler, but it was not as loud as I expected. Is that normal? Any way to increase the sound... i.e racing headers? I saw a review on APR's site that said after installing the Stage I ECU upgrade it made the exhaust sound better...

Also, just wondering... APR's site has a carbonio air intake for $350... is it worth the purchase?
give the muffler time to break in, after a few hundred miles the sound will become slightly louder, but if ur setup came with a resonator, cut it out n it should make it fairly louder.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

take out the midmuffler or resonator if applicable.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

perhaps strictly downpipe?? that would be considerably louder lol :P have you a test pipe?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

since no one answered your second question, no. dont spend $350 on that intake. Just get a cookie-cutter K&N. It will only add in between 10 and 15 hp if your lucky with either air intake. They dont add as much power on german cars as they do hondas, since we already have bigger motors. However, you will get a slightely noticable noise increase with the more air intake. So you might be happy about that.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

What size exhaust did you get? i have a custom 3" with a race cat 12" resonator and Straight through muffler all courtesy of Ray at R.A.I. Motorsports and i think its fairly loud especially over stock. All depends what your definition of loud is though.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

yea i was wondering about air intakes too. the guy that had my car before me put a K&N style filter on the intake horn and zip tied the other thing. (not air mass sensor, cant remember what its called) to the filter. i thought it looked hokey so i put the stock air box back in. was that setup ok?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

get eletronic cutouts that will make it louder and u get to control it

Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 AM
1st Gear

Yea that setup was ohk... I have that same kind of setup with mine but I made it clean... Looks good... Look in my garage an youll se the pics... Or if you want you could do the swiss cheese air box.... Jus lessen the restriction flow an youll feel a difference an even hear a difference

Old 09-05-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to thread jack...if there's an issue i'll start a new thread....

Are there any exhausts for the TT that (excuse the "racist" remark) don't sound like a riced out civic? I realize audio clips aren't going to sound too good but almost every single one i've heard sounds like a pissed off bumble bee in a tin can....looking for something a little deeper that doesnt get that gawd awful rasp at higher rpm's

Quick Reply: Exhaust Not Loud Enough... Ideas???