AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   Exhaust questions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/exhaust-questions-116571/)

Drfeelgood69247 10-23-2008 05:06 PM

Exhaust questions

I was looking to install the 14807 Magnaflow exhaust muffler on my 96 a4 2.8. It says the inlet size on the muffler is only 2.25 inches. Would this set up work out fine? Because i tried to measure the pipe coming into the stock muffler and it seemed like it was a 3" pipe if not bigger. Also does anyone know how this sounds. I will also be removing the Resonator. If i were to remove both muffler and resonator would the car pass inspection? Thanks for your input.

CosminTX 10-24-2008 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drfeelgood69247 (Post 975918)
I was looking to install the 14807 Magnaflow exhaust muffler on my 96 a4 2.8. It says the inlet size on the muffler is only 2.25 inches. Would this set up work out fine? Because i tried to measure the pipe coming into the stock muffler and it seemed like it was a 3" pipe if not bigger. Also does anyone know how this sounds. I will also be removing the Resonator. If i were to remove both muffler and resonator would the car pass inspection? Thanks for your input.

u better have your car chiped , and have an intake ready , once u play with exhaust .... it`s start the fun .. o2 sensors may go bad/sparkplugs / plus you may loss power because your air/fuel/exhaust is not balance , or is what happen with my car, now i got it right pass emission and no cel. but just be aware that one change may ask for more to come. with no res sounds good, but kind of too loud for long trips, about mileage , u get better mileage on highway ,but worse in city . hope this helps

2001A6 10-24-2008 01:39 AM

^ well, you see, this is partly true If you open it up to much, you will loose to much back pressure and the car will feel slugish. Then you have to chip it to even out the mixtures. I did exhaust on mine, stock everything else except drop in K&N, and it made a huge difference in how the car felt. It actually moves! I have timed 7.4 sec to 60 many times. And now it thinks its an A4, makes A6s quicker, and in tip mode, it wont shift, unless you shift it, so I can hold back shifts untill 6800, makes it run even more better, lol.I bet I could get 7.3 out of it now!

Drfeelgood69247 10-25-2008 10:30 AM

thanks for the replies, so i shoulda just keep it the way it is unless i chip it out or put in k&n. Or should i just remove res and change muffler. When the pipes comes into the res are there 2 commin from both cats? I was just thinking that.

2001A6 10-25-2008 11:21 AM

What I would do is have the exhaust cut right before the res. Run the pipes back to your magnaflow muffler. Now, there are two ways to do this. You could go true dual, like an A6, and get a muffler with 2 inlets and 2 exits, then just run the two pipes to it. Or, get a Y pipe and go into a single inlet muffler. You can get both styles from actuall companys for the B5 S4s. I would keep the pipe size as close to factory as posible, so that you dont loose power.

Drfeelgood69247 10-25-2008 06:13 PM

ok then thats the plan. Thanks

Drfeelgood69247 11-13-2008 07:55 PM

Has anyone herd about the borla pro xs 40348 series and how they sound, because I was looking at the difference in sound between the magnaflow and the borla and the borla seems a little deeper which is what I am going for.