Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need Opinions on Custom 1988 5000 CS TQ intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Opinions on Custom 1988 5000 CS TQ intake

Hey everybody my car is in the shop for a valve job so im spending my free time b/t class and work to design a newcylindrical intake for my bastard car (1988 Audi 5000 CS TQ). Im in classes to become a mechanical engineer technologist so im going to any extremes to help my silver betty breathe better. I got the biggest dam K&N filter sold which was for a V8 Chevy Tahoe or something i think and I want to fabricate something to put itin my car. When I bought the car it was chip tuned withthe turbo and a hollowed out CAT so I really want it to get some more COLD air since its factory fed from right inside the hot area of the engine bay up front. I think its a really bad design but wutever. Any way I wanted some people's opinions on this idea:

I want to runa series ofsewer piping of 45 degree elbows from the factory airbox that cant be removed due to the fact that the MAF is actually a lever action item connected to a plate inside; its hard to describe but its gotta stay there none the less. The K&N drop-in filter the car came with will be removed as well. Any way I want to use a hole saw drill bit of 3 and 3/8th inch to run the piping directly into the box where the factory piping goes in. Then Im going to run three of these elbows into the filter which will be behind a custom (cut trashcan probly from what ive read on the net) heat shield just behind the front passenger headlight assembly. I no longer have the external oil cooler mounted in the car so thats out of the way entirely. My biggest question so far is will it be a problem to put the filter even further from the factory MAF assembly or will it make no difference at all the way this will be set up.

Sorry for the enormous post and thanks for anybody's help in advance. Oh and if you skipped everything else just to read this line, pleasejust go back and read it haha

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need Opinions on Custom 1988 5000 CS TQ intake

Come on folks...throw me a bone here. Nobody with a 5000 TQ has even considered upgrading from just a drop-in filter to anything else?
Im also thinking about just running the tubing to a spot behind the front ground effects so that the drop-in k&N can at least get some cooler air to it...

Any comments would be appreciated

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Ok well I'm going through with this project just because no body has replied and it could be because no body with the 5000 TQ on this forum has ever even thought of modding their intake system simply because of how difficult it is to get at it(ie. you have to remove the fuel lines and some other things...Anyway I'm going to start this evening and I'm going to post up pictures of the parts and results. I bought a $6 1/2 disposable air filter and removed the filter element and mesh grill so that I am left witha bare bones outter box seal only. This will be put in place of the K&N drop in so that there is a seal in the box without any restrictions. Then as I said before I am going to run a PVC sewer pipe from the box where the original snorkel was to a place not far from it where I can put the K&N cylindrical filter and a custom fabricated heat shield. I think its going to turn out excellent just from what I have in mind. Turbo spool-up sound should be doubly loud and pickup on the acceleration may increase or decrease depending on how the car likes the new filter over the drop in K&N...let it be known however that there will no longer be any hot air getting to the intake and also the new filter has twice the surface area of the drop infilter[sm=gears.gif]. If it doesnt work how I hope then I can easily revert back to the drop-in. Pics should be up in a week later everyone

Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

This mod makes my car a sleeper except for the muffler. From doing a pull next to me you wouldnt even notice that i have a turbo but all in all i am happy with the new intake and my car gained alot of response in low end. Yes, this was a little bit of work, but now my car is numb-fingers fast on starts. One other thing to note is that it takes but an inch on the gas to get my boost about 3/4 full (out of 15 psi with chip). If you think its white-trash then so be it. Heres the pics of the car and 3 of the intake setup........30 MPG city 34hwgood enuff for all you people drivin new cars haha. One last note, anybody driving one of these gems has to seriously consider whether or not they can get over using pvc for a custom intake and getting completely unrestricted cold air to there engine because this really gives the car some ***** over stock (even better if ur chipped/muffed). enjoy

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/jdk309_photos/

Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 AM

I had a 1988TQ(Calgary Olympic Ed) and it was CAI and running 22PSI of adjustable boost. I say go for it. I really miss that car.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

that sounds like a sweet car considering its running almost 4 times the original intended boost of 6 psi haha. ya my mod went great and it runs like never before. i gotta ask you tho wut ur setup was on that car...exhaust details and intake, was it a stick etc? pictures of the setup would be awesome man TIA later

BTw that audi 90 is a real beaut