AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   New, easy, powerful throttle body modification (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/new-easy-powerful-throttle-body-modification-141129/)

MUNDO_AUDI 10-29-2009 11:40 PM

New, easy, powerful throttle body modification

2 Attachment(s)
Hey whats going on guys?

Today i removed the TB on my audis engine for cleaning.
I saw that it has 2 throttle plates a small one and a large one, but im sure you guys know that already.

The way the 2.8l TB works is by only opening the very small TBP and once you're close to WOT the bigger TBP opens up allowing more air into the engine there for make power faster and improve fuel economy at high engine speeds.

Well the mechanism that makes all of that action happen is very simple.

The modification/alteration i made on the TB was to make both of the small and big TBP open at the same time allowing the engine to rev much faster and make grater power from 1,000rpm to red line. :eek:

I wasnt sure if it was going to work all that great but when i pulled out of my driveway and barely touched the gas pedal the car just took off and pushed me back against my seat. YOU CAN FEEL FULL POWER FROM 1st TO 5th GEAR IT WAS INSANE.:D

AS YOU CAN SEE I USED A ZIP TIE AS A SPACER TO MAKE THE BIGGER TBP OPEN SOONER. i HAD TWO OF THEM WHICH MADE BOTH OPEN AT THE SAME TIME BUT IT WAS A LITTLE TOO MUCH POWER SO I CUT ONE OFF AND THAT ALLOWS THE CAR TO CRUISE IN 5TH GEAR AND HAVE THE SMALL ONE WIDE OPEN BUT AS SOON AS YOU PUSH THE PEDAL A LITTLE BIT THE BIGGER ONE OPENS ALL THE WAY AND LIKE A ROCKET YOU GO.
Attachment 5159

Attachment 5160

Midniteoyl 10-30-2009 02:12 PM

What year 2.8 is this?

MUNDO_AUDI 10-31-2009 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl (Post 1145495)
What year 2.8 is this?

my audi is a 1995 90 CS QUATTRO SPORT with 214,000 miles but im sure it works for any 2.8 that has the same style TB or any engine with that style TB.:rolleyes:

So far i haven't had any negative results in fact I'm very pleased. Today on my way to work i took the highway I-94 towards Chicago and even when cruising at 70 mph and in 5th gear if you press the gas pedal it throws you back and the speed climbs up fairly quick:)

Midniteoyl 10-31-2009 02:13 AM

Only ask 'cause I dont see the same thing.. Intead of two different size throttle plates to improve low end torque, Mine has a variable intake.

MUNDO_AUDI 11-01-2009 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl (Post 1145666)
Only ask 'cause I dont see the same thing.. Intead of two different size throttle plates to improve low end torque, Mine has a variable intake.

yah i have the same thing it happens when your engine hits ~4,100 RPM 6 individual plates open to allow air to get to the combustion chamber faster.

This is a stock 2.8l TB.:(
Attachment 5186

This is a PORTED 2.8l TB:D
Attachment 5187

This is a Ported 2.8l 12v intake manifold:D
Attachment 5188