AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   Performance Exhaust for Passat (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/performance-exhaust-passat-153275/)

malibuboats91 07-13-2010 06:12 PM

Performance Exhaust for Passat

I have a 1999 VW Passat with 165,000 miles on it. I put a thread on VW forums and no one really knew much about a performance system for it so I'll give this a shot. About a year ago I had my resonator taken off and in place of it a 2.25" pipe to a Magnaflow 14803 muffler. It sounds pretty decent but I'm looking for a lower tone to it.

From my research I have found that if I have a custom 3" turbo back pipe put on it will make my exhaust lower. The issue is, my muffler has a 2.25" inlet.

I went to the exhaust shop that I had do the original work and he said doing the 3" won't make it sound any different so he wants me to just get a different muffler. He told me that when he tries to change the sound of trucks, he changes the tips.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do? I really like my muffler but could part with it if I really had to. I listed it on craigslist and haven't had anyone interested so that's kinda making me lean towards keeping it if possible. I want to make a deeper and maybe a little louder tone but I don't want to put another $500 into my exhaust system.

R.A.I. Motorsport 07-14-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by malibuboats91 (Post 1221920)
I have a 1999 VW Passat with 165,000 miles on it. I put a thread on VW forums and no one really knew much about a performance system for it so I'll give this a shot. About a year ago I had my resonator taken off and in place of it a 2.25" pipe to a Magnaflow 14803 muffler. It sounds pretty decent but I'm looking for a lower tone to it.

From my research I have found that if I have a custom 3" turbo back pipe put on it will make my exhaust lower. The issue is, my muffler has a 2.25" inlet.

I went to the exhaust shop that I had do the original work and he said doing the 3" won't make it sound any different so he wants me to just get a different muffler. He told me that when he tries to change the sound of trucks, he changes the tips.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do? I really like my muffler but could part with it if I really had to. I listed it on craigslist and haven't had anyone interested so that's kinda making me lean towards keeping it if possible. I want to make a deeper and maybe a little louder tone but I don't want to put another $500 into my exhaust system.

A 3" System will give you a much deeper sound. I need more information on the car though. Year, engine, transmission, etc

malibuboats91 07-14-2010 06:23 PM

My car is a 1999 VW Passat with a 1.8t. Its an auto tiptronic. Everything is stock except for the muffler and a k&n air filter. Hope that helps.

malibuboats91 07-16-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by danielhenry31 (Post 1222753)
The 1.8L engine in the Passat and Audi A4 has a capacity of less oil than cross using the same engine (4.6 Potter in the transverse direction, 4.3 Longitudinal Potter) and the likes of oil sludge in Because of problems if not changed regularly intervals with all synthetic oils. Two transmission options were available: a manual gearbox and a five-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic five-speed.

And this pertains to my exhaust system how??

R.A.I. Motorsport 07-21-2010 10:40 AM

where are you located?

malibuboats91 07-21-2010 10:59 AM

I am located in wausau, wisconsin

R.A.I. Motorsport 07-28-2010 12:35 PM

I would check out techtonics tuning, I couldn't find anything we carry for your car

malibuboats91 07-28-2010 02:30 PM

What is your opinion on the change of the pipe and keeping my muffler? My dad talked to his friend who owns the shop that does my exhaust shop and he said he wouldn't recommend doing the 3" pipe because there won't be enough back pressure and it will mess with the mass air flow sensor. I have no idea of what to do now. I was looking online at borla and my dad can get them cheap since he owns napa auto parts but it seems stupid for me to replace a muffler that's only a year old with 5000 miles on it.