AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   Stock intake modification (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/stock-intake-modification-113242/)

Gold37 09-17-2008 04:03 PM

Stock intake modification

So im looking to open up the sound of my intake but i dont feel like spending the oober stupidly high prices for an "intake" just because I own a "audi" when ill get just as much "performance" gain from my own creation.
is there any way to mount up a filter or extension tube to the B5 MAF(since it is normally bolted to the box)

~Goldie

Splinter_Cell 09-22-2008 10:43 PM

i don't see why you can't. Once i get my ecu reflashed i'm gonna build my own intake around a K&N cone filter. All you have to do is mount the MAF into the system and your golden. also check out the thread for building a heat shield for the intake too as it might help to keep the air cool.

Gold37 09-23-2008 11:21 AM

the heatshield will be the easy part...plus you can mount duct work to bring up cold air from under the bumper. i just have to find a way to mount up the MAF...stupid square MAF...wonder if a 1.8T MAF is compatible....

cassidyjr 09-27-2008 03:58 PM

Ive beent thinking of doing the same type of setup on my A6 2.8

I searched and kind of asked around but didnt really get an answer... but I did however find this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAF-Intake-Adapt...3286.m63.l1177

ive yet to measure the holes to see if the screws line up.. but in theory i would think so.. assuming audi uses similar mafs on all the cars

TommyGunns 09-27-2008 05:52 PM

Check out TMTuning.com. Under there engine section, there is a air filter adapter plate for 10 bucks. Looks a little nicer then that Ebay one.

Gold37 09-29-2008 09:32 PM

well I have aquired some sheet stock and some pipe. i plan to make my own "kit" should be a lot cheaper even if I went out and bought the parts outright.

itshim 09-30-2008 05:17 PM

Low buck solutions.

2 Attachment(s)
............Might this work on your car? :)Attachment 51701 Attachment 51702

Gold37 10-01-2008 11:22 AM

it could, but since my intake setup is identicle to this one...
http://images.eurotuner.com/featured...engine_bay.jpg
it honestly would have about the same effect since there is a tube from the front of the grill connected to the airbox.

as for your idea...its a great idea if you have/already done so, incorperate a scoop to supply that new opening with freash air from either the side or top of the car. I have an SRT-4 (my other toy:D) and the hood scoop is fucntional and has a tunnel to the airbox, along with the main purpose to help cool the turbo. that mod works very well on supplying "Cold" air from the front of the car(once you insulate the hood from engine heat)

you could easily insall a direct opening on the hood or a sidevent on the fender and plumb a tunnel to that filter giving you the same effect and providing a "little colder" air :)

also since the MAF in that picture is the round type...it would be just as easy to add piping to the lower fender area for that same effect. since mine is the type that bolts to the airbox...I am limited.

I guess a more prudent question would be...can I put the MAF from a 1.8t in place of mine since I have a 2.8? (since essentually they are doing the same job)

~Goldie

itshim 10-01-2008 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gold37 (Post 959996)
it could, but since my intake setup is identicle to this one...
http://images.eurotuner.com/featured...engine_bay.jpg
it honestly would have about the same effect since there is a tube from the front of the grill connected to the airbox.

as for your idea...its a great idea if you have/already done so, incorperate a scoop to supply that new opening with freash air from either the side or top of the car. I have an SRT-4 (my other toy:D) and the hood scoop is fucntional and has a tunnel to the airbox, along with the main purpose to help cool the turbo. that mod works very well on supplying "Cold" air from the front of the car(once you insulate the hood from engine heat)

you could easily insall a direct opening on the hood or a sidevent on the fender and plumb a tunnel to that filter giving you the same effect and providing a "little colder" air :)

also since the MAF in that picture is the round type...it would be just as easy to add piping to the lower fender area for that same effect. since mine is the type that bolts to the airbox...I am limited.

I guess a more prudent question would be...can I put the MAF from a 1.8t in place of mine since I have a 2.8? (since essentually they are doing the same job)

~Goldie

.........There's a factory tube that runs from the airbox between the fender and the battery to behind the headlite on the GTI for outside air. Its a crowded house under there to enlarge a fresh air system with hardware store duct work to the stock air box. This top of airbox filter mod draws under hood air. The stainless strap across the filter is there not to retain the filter but to hold the under hood insulation up off the airbox with an open filler element now. A little more intake roar was the goal. Hot under hood air? Yes. Power increase? Unlikely. Most of your aftermarket CAI units have filters under the hood in the hot environment too!................As far as a change in your MAF. Your 2.8 computor may be looking at different parameters not provided with a 1.8 MAF swap and cause your car to run lousy. An expensive experiment with the price of a new MAF with little to be gained even if it runs well and you engineer the ductwork well. Better to spend your mod $$$ elsewhere.:)

Gold37 10-05-2008 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by itshim (Post 960077)
An expensive experiment with the price of a new MAF with little to be gained even if it runs well and you engineer the ductwork well. Better to spend your mod $$$ elsewhere.:)

not when you borrow one from a friends 1.8t :D
again as with any stock intake box you can plumb colder air from under the car or the side with simple ductwork and get the same effect as any "CAI" or aftermarket "shinny aluminum pipe and filter"(just insulate the airbox and intake pipe from the engine heat) the only true way to see any mi-nute amount of power from an intake is to have a bult up engine...and even then you typically only see a .5-1hp gain so in the long run...your wasteing "mod" money buying an intake for ANY car.

~Goldie