Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

WOW! Exhaust Leak!!! check this thread out

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation WOW! Exhaust Leak!!! check this thread out

Today, after buyin' a few Bud Ice's (didnt drink any beer yet), I pulled out of a driveway, and stepped on the pedal because there were cars comin', and the next thing you know, I here what sounds like a loud pop. I let off the gas, and when I stepped on it again I realized I have a "Phat" exhaust leak. Initially I figured that I blew an exhaust gasket because I was on the accelerator so much. Pulled over to check and make sure before any more damage was caused, and the pipe/flange that bolts to the turbo was disconnected. I laughed! It was easy to see because I have a cone filter installed and the air box has been removed. I will get my welder out and remove the flange and exhaust pipe and weld it together.
The whistling sound the turbo made was awesome! I have always loved that sound. This whole situation has motivated me to think about an aftermarket exhaust system. I definitely dont want anything loud, although I do love Flowmaster's, but I do want to enhance the whistle sound. As far as the muffler sound, I would like something subtle like the Infiniti G35's. Let me know what you guys think. I will update when I fix the issue. Check out the pictures.

By the way, it happened to my Silver A4 in my Signature.

Name:  audiandinfiniti051.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  audiandinfiniti049.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  37.9 KB

Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

I repaired the pipe/flange today. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

Here are the pictures.

First I had to mark where the flange and catalytic converter meet when fixed, so that way I didnt weld it on and it wouldnt fit.
Name:  audi037.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  28.8 KB
Then once I removed everything, I had to grind the edge of the pipe so it would slide into the flange.

Once I did that, I pounded it on tight.
Name:  audi038.jpg
Views: 3580
Size:  42.2 KB
Then I was ready to weld it.
Name:  audi040.jpg
Views: 3455
Size:  30.3 KB
These are the pictures of my welds. I am still learning how to weld, but this will work good enough.
Name:  audi042.jpg
Views: 3553
Name:  audiandinfiniti051.jpg
Views: 3508

I took a picture of my wifes 2001 Audi's flange because they decided to weld it from the factory. My Audi is a 1997. You will be able to tell a difference between my weld and the factories weld.
Name:  audi039.jpg
Views: 3418
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear
Talking

Here are the pictures.

First I had to mark where the flange and catalytic converter meet when fixed, so that way I didnt weld it on and it wouldnt fit.
Name:  audi037.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  28.8 KB
Then once I removed everything, I had to grind the edge of the pipe so it would slide into the flange.

Once I did that, I pounded it on tight.
Name:  audi038.jpg
Views: 4536
Size:  42.2 KB
Then I was ready to weld it.
Name:  audi040.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  30.3 KB
These are the pictures of my welds. I am still learning how to weld, but this will work good enough.
Name:  audi042.jpg
Views: 4853

I took a picture of my wifes 2001 Audi's flange because they decided to weld it from the factory. My Audi is a 1997. You will be able to tell a difference between my weld and the factories weld.
Name:  audi039.jpg
Views: 3442
Size:  23.2 KB

Last edited by Prizmatik; 03-28-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear

looking good. Nice job man

Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Prizmatik
Today, after buyin' a few Bud Ice's (didnt drink any beer yet), I pulled out of a driveway, and stepped on the pedal because there were cars comin', and the next thing you know, I here what sounds like a loud pop. I let off the gas, and when I stepped on it again I realized I have a "Phat" exhaust leak. Initially I figured that I blew an exhaust gasket because I was on the accelerator so much. Pulled over to check and make sure before any more damage was caused, and the pipe/flange that bolts to the turbo was disconnected. I laughed! It was easy to see because I have a cone filter installed and the air box has been removed. I will get my welder out and remove the flange and gibson exhaust and weld it together.
The whistling sound the turbo made was awesome! I have always loved that sound. This whole situation has motivated me to think about an aftermarket exhaust system. I definitely dont want anything loud, although I do love Flowmaster's, but I do want to enhance the whistle sound. As far as the muffler sound, I would like something subtle like the Infiniti G35's. Let me know what you guys think. I will update when I fix the issue. Check out the pictures.

By the way, it happened to my Silver A4 in my Signature.

Great man. I wish I could weld some things out too. I am also looking forward to get that whistling sound on my car.

Last edited by reagd; 09-30-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Friend of mine in college had a Old Mazda truck, the muffler had come clean off from the engine, I swear to god it sounded like a Formula 1 Race Car.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

This happend to me also only it seperated after the cat but befor the cat flange. it sounds mean.

But my question is shouldnt i be worried about cold air hiting my exhaust valve and burning them up? Because i was considering leaving it that way. but ive been debating with other techs and i keep getting back and forth answers.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear

Exhaust valve? I dont know of any exhuast valve other than whats in the cylinder head.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

That is what am talking about. the backpressure sucking cold air back through the exhaust on deceleration.

Quick Reply: WOW! Exhaust Leak!!! check this thread out