Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Interior Color Durability/Preference

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Interior Color Durability/Preference

Hey all. Looking to go back to a (new to me) used A6 Avant sometime this year and sell my A4 Avant. With this car and the last the interior was the black leather, but many of the cars I am looking to buy have the beige/tan interior.

Just curious how the beige/tan looks over time and does it stain badly? Being leather I would guess not, but what about the carpet?

Would like to get a car with black interior but those seem to be harder to come by and more $$$.

Stoked to hear some opinions/input on this. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Inevitably, the lighter colors will show stains and dirt more, but they don't necessarily stain more easily. It is just easier to see the stains vs. a darker color. But in my experience, unless you put a permanent staining agent (coffee, certain juices) then everything will come out of the carpet. it is a synthetic material and does not take on stains easily. I had a light tan carpet in one of my older cars, and even coffee came out of it. It took some time with carpet shampoo but it worked. I also didn't wait long to clean it. I got to it asap. As for the leather, people are dirty. over time they will take on a coating of "human slime" but with some good cleaner, it will come off. Just make sure to get cleaner that is meant for leather and wont break down the material (i.e. ammonia) just as a general rule, don't use household cleaners in your car. Don't even use windex on the windows, as the chemicals in it are known to prematurely wear out vinyl and plastic, which unless you mask off your entire car, the mist and vapors will get to.

So overall, as long as you like the color of the interior, and you stay on top of keeping your car clean, and use the proper cleaners, you will probably be just fine. There are plenty of people who daily drive cars with lighter interiors, and those who take the time and care have managed to keep them clean for as long as the car lasts them.