Mechanics & Workshops Kudos and complaints equally welcome. Know a good one? Know a bad one? Advise/warn others.

01 a4 quattro 1.8t issues. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 a4 quattro 1.8t issues. HELP

so ive had my a4 for about 8 years now and loved it. aside from the costs to have shops do repairs and that annoying check engine light that loves to pop on. i had the alternator replaced awhile back and they mentioned i had a coolant leak which i knew of but it was tiny. well fast forward two winters and the tiny leak that would require me to refill water every 3 months turned into half a gallon every 20 mins of driving with warning lights coming on so i decided to park it and check into it. it was leaking back near the coolant flange so after some youtubing i figured i could investigate a bit. well i havnt quite figured out how to get back into there i moved the wire harness for the coil packs and disconnected the oil lines and moved them back most thats left in the way is a round canister with a vaccum line that hooked up to the turbo i think. then there is a two hex screw metal housing on the top side in the way of the coolant flange housing. when i wiggled the heater core hose something broke and i see a orange plastic peice in the heater core hose and can feel a long break were it connected to another hose that ran back to radiator. my questions for this is A. can that be bypassed by connecting the heater core hose directly into the hose that returns to radiator or do i need to replace that whole hub. and also how do i remove that part? Any help is appreciated im gonna go to youtube and see what i can find. oh also what is that part were the two hoses connect to the sensor called? coolant flange? wanna make shure i get right one.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

You should have added a stop leak first.