Member Builds/Projects Members projects showcased here. Car-related, Audi-preferred, but feel free to post up ANY car build you've done or are involved with.

Audi B5 420-R: The Build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Update: 27th August, 2015.

My apologies for my lack of regular updates, been super busy with work and even more exams.

I placed an order for a single-mass steel flywheel. I could have saved myself a stack of dough, and used my original 2.8 30V flywheel, with an OEM 2.8 clutch, but I opted not to do so for a number of reasons.

Being a dual-mass unit, the original flywheel is designed for smoothness and comfort, absorbing vibration. Unfortunately, this design is not built for high-torque application, and it can't be resurfaced - at least not by many shops. It is also insanely heavy for what it is. Worse of all, using the 2.8 30V flywheel will limit me to running a 2.4/2.8 30V clutch, which I would rather not do.

The steel flywheel I have ordered is specific to the 4.2 V8 40V, and designed to run a B5 S4 / RS4 clutch. Unlike the B5 S4 / RS4 though, it does NOT require the S4's engine-to-transmission spacer to provide clearance between the clutch pressure plate and bell housing, being dome 11mm slimmer. This should be with me by Saturday.

My D2 S8 ECU also arrived on the 24th August, I'll be sending it off to get the immobiliser defeated.

I know the 2.8 V6 30V twin catalytic converters and combined downpipes are a direct bolt-on fitment to the 4.2 V8 40V motor. But they will strangle performance, due to their bore size and the surface area the catalysts provide. I'm contemplating purchasing a pair of stainless 200 cell race catalysts from Germany. I can then have the rest of the exhaust system built from the CATS rearwards.

I'll post pictures soon.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Update: 29th August, 2015.

I have been considering different exhaust options for B5 420-R. My original V6 30V exhaust system WILL bolt up to the V8 40V. But...it will be restrictive, as the bore size of 2.25" is undersized for a V engine above 3.0L. It will also not sound as good, a flat-sounding V8 is not cool!

So I ended up purchasing a B5 S4 stainless 2.5" system with twin 3" tips. This is a CAT-back system, so I also purchased B6 S4 stainless steel downpipes. These are CAT-deletes, but I have the option of purchasing a pair of 200 CPSI sport CAT's to weld in, if I so choose. The downpipes are coming in from Germany.

Some pictures. Note, these are the original advert pictures.

B6 S4 stainless steel downpipes:

B5 S4 stainless steel CAT-back system:

Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Update: 03rd September, 2015.

So my exhaust system turned up today.

Quite a well-made system. As I mentioned previously, the downpipes are for the B6/7 S4. Trying to test fit one to my BFM manifold highlighted another difference.

The BFM manifolds have the studs slightly wider apart. This could be resolved by slotting the holes on the B6 S4 downpipe collars, but there was a more obvious difference.

The D3 4.2 V8 manifolds have conventional stainless steel laminate gaskets. The B6 S4 manifolds have integral domed fire rings, and of course the downpipes have flared ends to match. It will be easy enough to weld in a pair 2.8 30V downpipe ends to the B6 pipes, but I can't really be bothered to do this, when an easier solution lies within reach.

Buy a pair of B6/7 exhaust manifolds. Which is what I'm doing. I did consider pulling the trigger on a set of tubular headers, but I don't want to run into fitment issues on a street car. I might go the tubular route though on my DTM car.

Pictures!

Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of B6 S4 exhaust manifolds. They should be winging their way down to me pretty soon.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Update: 04th September, 2015.

My C5 RS6 aluminium subframe turned up a couple of days ago, encrusted with baked-on oil and dirt. I marvel at how some sellers will ship items out in such a state.

Now I know the C5 S6/RS6 aluminium subframe is dimensionally different to that fitted to I4 and V6 models, including the B5. The front mounting bushes will bolt up to a B5, the rear bushes are however slightly further back, and slightly further apart. I will address that discrepancy one way or the other.

To this effect, I am purchasing a stock B5 V6 subframe. I will use this as a mini-jig to modify the C5 S6/RS6 aluminium item to fit the B5. Some may question my decision to purchase a B5 V6 subframe, when I could use mine as a jig. My reasoning here is DOWNTIME. I would rather get everything ready to fit, rather than waste time with R&D with my car in bits. Besides, B5 subframes are so cheap to buy used, and there are tons of them on eBay.

Some pictures.

The original eBay photograph. Absolutely filthy, really oily and crusty:

After a session with my local car wash, it looked like this:

I then ran a selection of rotary brass wire brushes over it to remove some staining the dilute acids used at the car wash couldn't shift, used a bunch of panel wipes to remove dust, then laid down a coat of primer, followed by 3 coats of Audi Aluminium Silver:

Much easier working with a clean subframe. I am looking at offset corrective rear subframe bushes.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Update: 05th September 2015.

Pair of Motorsport mounts ordered. I may well do the same for the transmission mounts.

My previous V8 swaps utilised stock engine mounts, and a custom front mount to replace the usual snub mount. It's possible the Motorsport mounts will be stiff enough NOT to require the front torque mount, but we'll soon find out. These Motorsport mounts are adjustable, and can be rebuilt as required.

There are lots of options for the transmission mounts without spending big bucks, if you know what you're looking for, and where to look. I'm not talking lumps of Delrin and studding either.

My C5 RS6 combined oil cooler / filter housing and right hand engine bracket also turned up this morning, so this takes care of physically bolting the engine in place.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

While I'm waiting for my Motorsport engine mounts, and flywheel to turn up, there's not much I can do.

So I decided to clean up my RS6 lower brackets, and give them a couple of coats of Audi Aluminium silver.

As received post purchase:

After a session with a selection of rotary brass wire brushes, and a wash with boiling hot water, and dish washer liquid:

After a coat of primer, and 2 coats of Audi Aluminium Silver:

Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I also have this:

C5 S6 / RS6 oil cooler and filter housing. Which some of you may know also incorporates the right hand upper engine bracket. I have swapped the D3 V8 left hand upper engine bracket for a C5 RS6 item, though the engine mount hole appears to be identical to that of the original D3 A8 one.

The D3 right hand upper bracket MAY well fit the lower bracket, meaning there MAY be no need to replace it with the C5 RS6 bracket / oil cooler / filter housing. The only way to know for sure will be by way of trial mounting.

Once my Motorsport mounts and flywheel arrive, and I've completed the machining so all ALL the D3 V8 engine mounting holes to bolt up to my 01E, I will mount the C5 RS6 subframe on a jig, then lower the engine and 01E transaxle onto it, bolting the gearbox mounts and the left hand engine mount in place. I will then see where I am with the right hand engine mount. If the discrepancy is minor, I'll do what needs to be done to get it to line up. If it's massive, then I'll simply swap the assembly with the C5 RS6 one.

My B5 30V subframe has been despatched, so that will be with me sometime this week. It will then be used as a jig to modify the C5 RS6 aluminium one to fit a B5.

I've got another busy weekend ahead of me.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Update: 09th September, 2015,

I got home from work, and found some packages waiting.

My Motorsport mounts, V8 40V flywheel, aluminium coolant pipe are here. The steel B5 30V subframe I intend to use as a jig, to modify the aluminium C5 RS6 one, has also arrived, though I haven't ripped open the odd-shaped package yet.

I'm still expecting my B6 S4 exhaust manifolds, they should be with me sometime this week.

All I need to order now is a B5 S4 or B5 2.6 Quattro rear differential, and a B5 RS4 clutch. The Motorsport mounts and steel lightweight flywheel are so well made, it's kind of a shame they won't be visible once fitted, haha. This flywheel was worth the wait, as it does NOT require a spacer, and is super light. Much lighter than the B5 S4 item, or the 30V.

Pictures:

Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Update: 10th September, 2015.

My B6 S4 exhaust manifolds turned up today.

As I stated previously, the D3 V8 headers don't match the B6 stainless steel de-cat pipes I purchased. Slightly wider stud spacing, and different method of sealing.

D3 A8 BFM V8 header-to-downpipe sealing flange. Note the conventional metal laminate gasket:

B6 S4 BBK V8 sealing flange. Note the integral domed end, to match the flared ends of the B6 stainless de-cats:

Quick Reply: Audi B5 420-R: The Build.