Member Builds/Projects Members projects showcased here. Car-related, Audi-preferred, but feel free to post up ANY car build you've done or are involved with.

Audi B5 420-R: The Build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Tools for the job - as a drift, I used an Allen-headed bolt, with a 3/8 square drive as an extention, and I substituted grease with clean Vaseline. Then a sledge hammer of suitable weight.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Removing the bush:

Packing the TQ steel bush with Vaseline / grease:

The blows start:

After the third blow, the bush was being displaced by hydraulic action (Vaseline):

Voila!

It came out cleanly. The bush was good enough to be re-used, and the crank had no marks. It could well have been a manual, there was no sign a TQ bush ever sat in the crank recess:

Next step is to fit the Audi S8 flywheel. As some may know, the Audi S8 was never available in the UK as manual, so I've ordered a flywheel and clutch from Germany, I got blank stare from UK Audi main dealerships when I tried to order here, lol. Parts will be with me hopefully before the week runs out.

We're getting closer!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Update 06th August 2012:

My Audi S8 flywheel turned up today from the fatherland, Germany. Pretty stoked - it was on back order, and I was expecting it to take a lot longer to arrive. I only ordered it last week.

And I've purchased another base car for this project. I wasn't happy with the one I initially purchased. This one I purchased is all the way in Bristol, which is roughly 220 miles from me, and a three-hour drive, lol. I'll be picking her up on Saturday. She's a '96 Audi A4 2,6 V6 Quattro Sport. Only one owner from new, she's done 141,000 miles, and has full service history, as a bonus, she's MOT'd till June 2013, so just ripe for some serious modding!

Pictures to follow.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

New Audi S8 flywheel, as supplied by Audi AG:

Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Update 11th August 2012:

I picked up my new base car today. All the way from Bristol, which is a 225 mile drive. I left at 13:35, arrived in Bristol at 1705 hours, so not exactly local. I've just gotten home at 2219 hours, absolutely shattered.

Initial impressions are good - the car drove well, pulled strongly all through the rev range, with no flat spots or hesitation. It's had only one owner from new, and has a full service history, which is a bonus, but not really relevant, as the stock 2,6 V6 2 x SOHC 12V is coming out, along with the 5-speed manual tranny, to make way for a beefy 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 32V and 6-speed manual tranny.

Over the next few days, I'll be carrying out a thorough assessment, and putting the car on a strict weight loss regime. Anything not absolutely needed for the car to run, and still remain road legal will be junked. I'll post pictures of her tomorrow after Sunday service, after I've given her a thorough clean. Current color is Audi Europe Blue Pearl, but that's a moot point, as the current color is subject to change. What the final color will be, is anybody's guess.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

The car, as picked up yesterday, after a damn good wash and dry. Some scrapes. but that's to be expected. All the parts with scratches play no part in the transformation, so will be junked for facelift Audi A4 B5 items. 8)

Old 01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

More...

Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

And more...

Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

And lastly...

Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Update 24th August 2012:

I purchased an aluminium radiator for the B5. I'm currently putting together a kit to relocate the oil filter, and also allow the fitment of a regular spin-off metal item. I'm using a B6 3,0 oil filter.

This kit also allows me to run an air-to-air oil cooler, with thermostatic control. I've gone for a 20-row unit. I may well fit a small cooling fan, if I can find one that will fit easily.

My aluminium radiator was delivered by courier. Quite well-made, and is a direct replacement for B5 A4 and S4, that have both pipes on the passenger's side. My S8 engine has both pipes on the driver's side. I could invert the radiator to suite, but then the drain bung, and thermo-switch will be at the top, not good.

I'm going to get the outlets transferred on the radiator, just needs a competent aluminium welder, which I have. And a slight change of plan - I'm installing the radiator in the regular location, at the front. But will be mounted more towards the grille, so the cooling fans can be installed on the engine side. More superior cooling, than if the fans were mounted on the grille side (push fans).

Quick Reply: Audi B5 420-R: The Build.