New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0TDi and 2.7TDi issues, fixes and mods for a new to Audi person

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM
st4
1st Gear
Default 3.0TDi and 2.7TDi issues, fixes and mods for a new to Audi person

Hi Folks

Some of you may know me from the Mercedes forums.

Presently I drive a E320cdi with the V6 CDi issue. Its been a fairly problematic engine with 82,000 miles on it, I am on inlet port shut off motor 3 (the motor that controls the opening and closing of the swirl flaps) and manifold number two. I really like the car, but its an unreliable piece of crap most of the time.

The reason for this is that EGR deposits soot partially blocking the manifold and partly because oil can dribble out from the turbo causing the motor to shut down and the swirl flaps to gum up, causing the turbo to shut down.

I would be interested in an A6, must be quattro, diesel. It must be an automatic S line car. 2.7TDi or 3.0Tdi, not fussed but would prefer the more "reliable model". £4000 in worth of repairs in the Mercedes (rust is in there along with a new wheel hub).

Can you blank off the EGR in these diesel engines? With a swirl flap removal, and EGR disabled, there would be no issue with blocked manifolds and the car would run cleaner, and more economically. Is this a practical solution for a these cars, and if so, what are the costs and which engines can this be done. I would be very keen to know as an A6 estate/saloon.

With regards to the tranmissions, I would look to purchase an automatic car. I beleive these are sealed for life units. I don't do sealed for life. How easy is to drain both the box and the torque convertor. Draining a 7g Mercedes is easy enough, but you can't get the fluid out the torque convertor readily and refilling the box is a nightmare as you pump the fluid in from the bottom, not pour it in like on a normal automatic box.

Any other general Audi issues would be interesting, I've not had an Audi before (having had two Mercedes and to BMWs) and I do like the Mercedes range, however with 7speed automatic transmissions, which are becoming the norm, I would like to broaden my horizons car wise and worse case, just learn a little more about the range so I am more informed when changing my car. I've driven an S6 and liked that, but its not a practical solution for me.

Equipment wise, not fussed. Would rather not have leather seats, half cloth/leather would nicer. Xenons would be a nice feature and obviously bose and Nav although could do without either. A sunroof would make me more partial to a car that came up for sale.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums

Most of our [active] members are from North America and do not have access to the euro-spec diesels. We do have some euro members with the diesel models but they are not terribly active or at least I'm not sure where they post. you may want to try the forums at:

tdiclub.com
myturbodiesel.com

you will probably have better luck having your questions answered there.

good luck

have fun

Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
st4
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you very much. I'll try there instead to get further advice.