New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopeless Q5 and little help from Audi H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Hopeless Q5 and little help from Audi H.O.

We bought a new Q5 as a 'reward' for a lot of hard work about three years ago. Selected Audi because of its reputation as sweet driving reliable vehicle. Sweet driving [when on the road] yes. Reliability hopeless.

A long story but in the end there was the need for a completely new engine. In the lead up period of about six months the engine failed at high speed resulting in what could easily have been a very serious accident. The cooling system failed late at night necessitating a tow away. By the time the engine problem was finally diagnosed [I think three or maybe four 2 hour trips to / from the workshop] I had lost several days waiting for the [five hour] servicing to be completed. Oil over the carport. Time taken to replace the engine was ~ three [3] months but yes, a replacement care was arranged.

So very disappointed with the vehicle and the lack of progress I contacted H.O. with a detailed car history and cc'd one of the Audi board but did not even receive an acknowledgment.

Latest saga is that the heater system needs replacing. Now well into winter we have been waiting for this repair for some seven [7] weeks. Tonight we will abandon the Audi and take our cheap but reliable Peugeot 308 because that way we are at least warm. Spare parts supply from Audi can best be termed glacial, no pun intended.

The local agent has always been courteous and helpful in contrast to H.O. which made me feel I was a nuisance even though this may not be true. There are many ways Audi could have come out of this debacle smelling of roses. Instead rigidity in policy prevailed and their brand name got trashed as our friends would comment "What? Still not repaired?"

So my advice to anyone in the country i.e. not city folk, is don't buy Audi. Buy a brand that is reliable and sensitive to your needs. Shame really as when working properly the Q5 is a fine car to drive.