New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking/Vibrating Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 AM
Unhappy Shaking/Vibrating Car

Hi guys

I own an Audi A4 2.0T FSI S-line which has a shaking problem and I hope someone can help me resolve it. Apologies for the long essay but I want to give you all the information.

I took my car to Kwik Fit for MOT in March this year. During the MOT process, my car was put on a ramp and raised up. I remember that when the car was being raised up, the gap between the front body and the front wheels kept increasing as the car was being raised up. It looked like the front body was going to be ripped from the tyres. The gap between the back body and the back wheels however remained the same during the process of raising the car up

I remember thinking that it looked odd and that I had never seen anything like that but thought they must have known what they were doing anyway.

After the guys completed the MOT and told me it passed, I started my car and noticed immediately that the steering was vibrating. This is before I even started moving the car. I dismissed this with the hope that it was a temporary thing. Big mistake! Since then the problem hasn’t gone.

The problem seems to be intermittent and is somehow related to when I start the car. Once in a while when I start the car, the car runs smoothly as it used to and keeps running smoothly until the next time I start the car. At all other times, when I start the car, the steering wheel keeps vibrating and continues until the end of the journey.

For example, last week, I started the car and there was the vibration. A few miles through my journey I stopped and bought some fuel. As soon as I started the car, it was smooth again and remained smooth until I got to my destination.

In addition to the steering shaking, the driver’s seat also vibrates and I also notice that when I step on the accelerator, I feel the vibration through the seat and even sometimes through the pedals or even the floor of the car. The vibration sometimes gets slightly better once the car warms up and at other times it just remains the same. The vibration also eases just a little when I increase speed but once I stop at traffic it increases.

When this shaking is at its worst, I have to change the gears very early to reduce the shaking. For example, change to gear six by the time I start going over roughly 45 mph.

I took my car to an Audi dealer for service in mid April but unfortunately it was one of those times when the car ran smoothly so they obviously said they couldn’t feel the vibration and that I should bring it back whenever the problem occurred again. When I finally took it back with the problem their mechanic said he had never seen anything like it and told me he would contact their technical guys (apparently where they assemble their cars) and come back to me. That was about a month ago and I am yet to hear from them.

I also took the car to a local mechanic when the shaking was at its worst and they checked the engine mounts and said there was nothing wrong with the mounts. They too couldn’t pinpoint the cause of the problem.

To be honest, I don’t enjoy driving the car anymore and just feel like selling it. This is my last attempt to get it resolved. I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.