Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

19 PSI GIAC chip vs. 19 PSI Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Angry 19 PSI GIAC chip vs. 19 PSI Stage 3

I don't understand it. How can there be such a performance boost with the same amount of air being shoved into the engine?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

PSI does not equal air flow(CFM), it just means the turbo is pushing the air into the motor at that psi. So a smaller turbo pushing 19psi is not going to be moving the same amount of air as a larger turbo pushing the same boost.

This is why a stage 3(BT) will make more power then a K03 pushing the same boost, also why a BAT will make more power then a BT at the same boost level.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Legal Moderator

imagine a one gallon tank of air at 19 psi. than imagine a 100 gallon tank of air at 19 psi. obviously the 100 gallon tank has much more air. easiest way i can explain it

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Default Yes, but . . .

Thanks for the replies. I hold a physics degree and understand fluid dynamics. Strangely enough, I'm still dumbfounded. Here's why.

I assumed the entire point to having larger turbines is for them to move a higher volume of air, "SHOVING" more of it, thereby increasing the PSI. Imagine that 19psi 100 gallon tank as the turbo itself. Fit to it the intercooler and necessary tubing. It's the same as a 1 gallon tank, as long as the 1 gallon tank doesn't run out.

Anyways, the only way for more are to be shoved into the engine at the same pressure is if the air inlet valve cross sections were increased for more air to enter the CYLINDERS.

The caps isn't me raising my voice, just expressing lack of knowledge which is the real dillemma here.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Highvelocity
Thanks for the replies. I hold a physics degree and understand fluid dynamics. Strangely enough, I'm still dumbfounded. Here's why.

I assumed the entire point to having larger turbines is for them to move a higher volume of air, "SHOVING" more of it, thereby increasing the PSI. Imagine that 19psi 100 gallon tank as the turbo itself. Fit to it the intercooler and necessary tubing. It's the same as a 1 gallon tank, as long as the 1 gallon tank doesn't run out.

Anyways, the only way for more are to be shoved into the engine at the same pressure is if the air inlet valve cross sections were increased for more air to enter the CYLINDERS.

The caps isn't me raising my voice, just expressing lack of knowledge which is the real dillemma here.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Well air and fluid are completely different things. Air can be compressed which is what the turbo is doing. A K03 is very tiny, so the inlet/outlets are also very small so only so much air can be pushed out of it. So at 19psi there is very little air coming out of it and that air tends to be very hot. A BT is slightly larger, so the inlet/outlet are slightly larger. This mean more air can be pumped out of it at the same boost pressure, the air will also be slightly cooler. So the PSI does not actually go up when the amount of air goes up. The temps of the air also play a big roll since colder air is more dense then hotter air, so the colder the air the more air there is at the same pressure.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Legal Moderator

since he holds a pyhsics degree, when hes talking about fluid he is talking about liquid and gases. in science, fluid dynamics covers both of those states of matter. oddly enough.
ok high velocity, since you hold a pyhsics degree, you understand a moving fluid is under lower pressure than stationary fluid. hence bernoulli's principle and why birds and airplanes can fly. the only way for a bigger turbo to have more power at the same psi would have to be because the air is moving faster. the faster the air, the less pressure it holds. this means that for the larger turbo to induce more air at the same psi, it has to be movng faster than the smaller turbo at the same psi.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Default Damn it

My last message didn't send.

Since PSI is not being increased, which one of these three ways does the AWE K04 kit use to get more 02 getting into the combustion chambers?

1) Increase the diameter of the intake ports (unlikely)

2) Decrease turbulent flow (increasing laminar flow)

I've only installed superchargers and nitrous systems, no turbos. That's why I can't figure out what the difference is b/w the stock K03's + chip and the AWE K04's if it's not pressure.

Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
4th Gear

The turbo has a slightly more aggressive compressor wheel so it flows a little more air. So it moves more air at the same psi.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

i think it has to do with the boost "curve" as well. since the bigger turbo is capable of moving more air, it could maintain 19psi into the higher RPMs longer than the smaller turbo can, thus increasing overall power. although you can spike 19psi with the chip, by the time you get near redline it will be at more like 12psi, because the small k03 is running out of breath

Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 AM

Zadeluca you took the words right out of my mouth, same thing when updating to an RS4 intake manifold. Sure bigger injectors than stock along with the different fuel rail, but the air flow rate is increased when you hit the higher RPMs.

Quick Reply: 19 PSI GIAC chip vs. 19 PSI Stage 3