AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   2001 TT 1.8 Turbo Problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/2001-tt-1-8-turbo-problem-145332/)

xjcody10x 02-04-2010 08:47 AM

2001 TT 1.8 Turbo Problem

I have a 2001 TT 1.8 that just hit 100,000 miles. Great car! Here's the problem. In 4th and 5th gear around 3500 RPM or when I put my foot into it, the turbo doesn't spoil. Instead it feels [jerky,sputters, hesitant]:confused:. Unlike 1st-2nd-3rd, where the turbo throws you back, 4th and 5th do nothing. I found that when its a little cooler outside the car doesn't do the sputter thing [could be coincidental], but still the turbo doesn't kick in. I've heard all types of things from changing the MAF, the DV, the FPR. However I haven't got a straight answer from anyone.

This is what I have done so far:
-new K&N air filter
-new NGK spark plugs
-new Ignition coils
-oil and filter change
-disconnected the MAF sensor to see if that was the problem [no result]

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

-Cody

rayveedub 02-05-2010 11:06 AM

weird problem, it seems that load is causing the issues. Run your codes, and see what they say. If i had to point at something right now without more info i think the maf is your problem. 01 tts rely on the maf for a lot, so any problem there can cause a bunch of other issues.

Agnt008 02-06-2010 11:26 PM

I've had the same problem that I posted 2 years ago after I put a diode, boost controller, and greddy air filter in. I still haven't fixed the problem, but mine happens anytime I slam on the gas in any gear. I've tried raising the boost and lowering the boost. Once it spikes and maxes out (the boost controller) it starts sputtering and stops spooling. It's annoying.

xjcody10x 02-07-2010 08:32 AM

Thanks, Ill keep trying!!

jakej 02-07-2010 07:47 PM

Its your spark plugs gap.

Agnt008 02-07-2010 10:48 PM

It happened before and after I changed spark plugs. One was stock and the other were self gapped... I have to change them again when it warms up... but there has to be another reason this is happening. I really want to videotape this problem and upload it. I will do it soon enough... once it gets warm again

xjcody10x 03-27-2010 01:52 PM

Update! I just replaced the MAF NOT IT. Next thing Im going to do is replace the DV with a Forge 007 or OEM 710N. Ill let you know if this works.

joenelson7687 03-30-2010 08:02 AM

That might not fix it, but its a good idea to replace it anyway at 100k....Do you have a boost gauge installed so you can see what's going on or are you just going off of how the car feels? I don't trust pre-gapped spark plugs. What are you gapped at? Are you chipped?

xjcody10x 04-01-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by joenelson7687 (Post 1192378)
That might not fix it, but its a good idea to replace it anyway at 100k....Do you have a boost gauge installed so you can see what's going on or are you just going off of how the car feels? I don't trust pre-gapped spark plugs. What are you gapped at? Are you chipped?

It seems your right Joe. I replaced the DV yesterday and that didn't do the trick either. No, I don't have a boost gauge and I just replaced the plugs about 2k ago with NGK at .32 gap. I don't have it chipped. It seems like this is an occurring problem among some of us TT owners. Like I said around 3-4k when you get into the throttle the turbo spoils and then dumps right away and this happens constantly so you get a "jerky" feeling until you release the throttle. Thanks for your input, if you have any suggestions I would def. try them. I'm at the point now where I may break down and take it to the stealer ship. Thanks again.

xjcody10x 04-26-2010 03:16 PM

Problem Resolved!!
OK, I finally broke down and really go into the turbo. After many hours I found a ton of collapsed and torn vacuum hoses. The big thing though was the waste gate actuator was bad. Now everything works great. Now the only thing I need to do is adjust the waste gate for a bigger boost. Does anyone know the correct way to do this?