AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   Audi and turbo, where to begin... (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/audi-turbo-where-begin-150868/)

careercadaver 05-23-2010 12:34 PM

Audi and turbo, where to begin...

Looked around a bit here but didnt find what I'm looking for.

Is there any turbo application for the 2.8 or 3.0L engines? I have seen there are superchargers for the 2.8 but let's just leave it at I'm a fan of forced induction.

Has anyone swapped over a 2.7TT for a single turbo set-up? Any upgrades needed to transmission or components?

Basically my goal is about 300whp and I'm not sure if I should be looking at an A4 or A6 at this point. I also considered just going for the S4 but the insurance and replacement parts makes me think even a full swap would be more logical as I plan to put a solid set of coilovers, sways and some other random goodies on her.

Any input would be appreciated! :)

jhuffman 05-23-2010 09:58 PM

if you want 300 whp and dont want an s4, get the a6 with the 2.7t and chip it. 300whp easy with the car plus 700$ for a nice chip and piggy pipes. Believe me, you don't want to get involved in full swaps on audis. The 2.8 and 3.0 supercharges are horrendously expensive. Plus when your turbos go on the 2.7t, upgrade to k04 and rechip and boom your making 350awhp.

careercadaver 05-24-2010 10:02 AM

I was told the A6 is three times the weight of the A4, this is the reason I've been leaning
away from the A6, also they are fairly rare in a stick.

Also, the insurance for an 02 S4 for me is over 230/mo. I figured if nothing else there's my money for parts. I got quoted a price for a lower control arm of 300 and some change as well, to me that's throwing money away.

So no one has tried to put a larger turbo on the A6 as opposed to a twin set up?

Why are swaps a nightmare with Audi's?

careercadaver 05-24-2010 10:05 AM

I find it hard to believe no one has made 300whp on the stock 2.8.

R.A.I. Motorsport 05-24-2010 03:39 PM

The cheapest way to make 300awhp has been stated, a Stage 2+ 2.7T. The 2.7T also happens to be one of the most expensive engines to maintain.

NO ONE has made anything close to that on an N/A Audi engine, as Audi focuses more on fuel economy than power when designing motors.

As for single turbo 2.7Ts, we have one here at the shop, but you're talking about a $10k+ project, and most are not ready to spend this kind of money

careercadaver 05-25-2010 01:26 PM

^^I would love to see some pics, or a link, if you are willing.

Also, I wasn't thinking 300whp on a n/a engine, for sure turbo would need to be added. I'm just surprised more people aren't toying with these. They seem like a great platform for performance, especially the S4. Also, I've been looking into the maintenance on these and I'm not seeing what would cost more than your average Lexus or BMW as far as replacement costs. Are there more random sensors that are replaced often?

Thanks again for your input. Am I on the wrong forum? I know people have to be modding these to no end somewhere.

R.A.I. Motorsport 05-25-2010 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by careercadaver (Post 1209636)
^^I would love to see some pics, or a link, if you are willing.

Also, I wasn't thinking 300whp on a n/a engine, for sure turbo would need to be added. I'm just surprised more people aren't toying with these. They seem like a great platform for performance, especially the S4. Also, I've been looking into the maintenance on these and I'm not seeing what would cost more than your average Lexus or BMW as far as replacement costs. Are there more random sensors that are replaced often?

Thanks again for your input. Am I on the wrong forum? I know people have to be modding these to no end somewhere.

Well, turboing an N/A engine requires quite a bit of custom work and $$, while modifying the 2.7T, which is VERY close to both the 2.8 and 3.0 and is cheap to come by, is easy. It's a no brainer.

Attachment 38184

Attachment 38185

There are a few other places that have more aggressive builds.

careercadaver 05-26-2010 11:38 AM

For sure! Nice build man! I more than appreciate your input.

vtraudt 05-28-2010 08:32 AM

Wow, how did you sneak that in under the windshield that close to the firewall? No intercooler, though. What boost do you you figure save on pump gas?

Originally Posted by R.A.I. Motorsport (Post 1209691)
Well, turboing an N/A engine requires quite a bit of custom work and $$, while modifying the 2.7T, which is VERY close to both the 2.8 and 3.0 and is cheap to come by, is easy. It's a no brainer.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/u...ne_Bay_Top.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/u...t/onstand4.jpg

There are a few other places that have more aggressive builds.

R.A.I. Motorsport 06-18-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by vtraudt (Post 1210521)
Wow, how did you sneak that in under the windshield that close to the firewall? No intercooler, though. What boost do you you figure save on pump gas?

The windshield is actually not a big problem, as it sits behind the second firewall. We're thinking the car will make about 600awhp on pump 93. Call us for the parts you want I can definitely hook you up

- Clint