AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   Boost Problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/boost-problem-229227/)

Riaan18t 10-23-2018 09:43 AM

Boost Problem

Hi All

I have 2 problems and from other forms I looked at it sounds like my K03/29 Turbo is on its way out.
1. If I start the car now and then there will be smoke coming out the exhaust and same if I need power while driving and gear down (CVT Box) and gun it , it will give a puff of smoke.
2. I lose boost at full throttle but not at half throttle. So I took my MBC and increased the boost to .8 and I get the same result.
What I do not understand is I can drive at half throttle and boost will stay there with no problem but as soon as I go full throttle it will go to .65 then drop down to .2 :mad:

Upgrades done: 76mm SS exhaust with CAT removed. (1 Month old)
: Boost gauge
: Manual boost controller
Thanks
Riaan

Riaan18t 10-23-2018 09:43 AM

Sorry its a 2007 Audi A4 1.8t

KilBoyPwrHd 10-29-2018 10:44 AM

Sound like Turbo to me,
But first, check your Fuel management, may be overfueling or underfueling,
what colour is the puff of smoke?

Riaan18t 10-29-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by KilBoyPwrHd (Post 1520968)
Sound like Turbo to me,
But first, check your Fuel management, may be overfueling or underfueling,
what colour is the puff of smoke?

Thank you for the reply, The smoke is white ….

KilBoyPwrHd 10-29-2018 11:17 AM

Hmm, OK making me lean to replacing Turbo, Could be that Oil leaking into Turbo at high pressure and that then gets into combustion chamber and then causes smoke due to oil burning.
Hence why you get full boost at half throttle, but full throttle pressure gets higher and oil pushes through. (keep in mind that i am speculating)
after market or Stock turbo and ball or journal bearing?

Riaan18t 10-29-2018 12:19 PM

Thats what I suspected that something with turbo. I did sort out the boost problem as I found a broken wire on the N75 valve. Car boosts good now and runs good but still smoking. I have the car for 3 month's now and if I look on the blue tag on turbo it looks std from Audi/VW. Its a K03/29 turbo.

KilBoyPwrHd 10-29-2018 01:52 PM

Yeah, that seems to be the stock Turbo,
K03-029
Compressor size 36/50mm
Turbine size 40/45mm
+- 160HP
Used on most Audi and VW 1.8T from 96 to 05.
But if you sorted the boost issue then the smoke may be something else.
Could be a Blown or damaged head gasket and coolant leaking into combustion chambers.

Riaan18t 10-30-2018 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by KilBoyPwrHd (Post 1520975)
Yeah, that seems to be the stock Turbo,
K03-029
Compressor size 36/50mm
Turbine size 40/45mm
+- 160HP
Used on most Audi and VW 1.8T from 96 to 05.
But if you sorted the boost issue then the smoke may be something else.
Could be a Blown or damaged head gasket and coolant leaking into combustion chambers.

I don't understand the Turbo sizes as I'm new to turbo, I do enjoy the Audi . Correct me if I'm wrong But if water and oil mix I would see it in the oil (Gray color) and water the oil would flote on the water ?
Would this be correct ?
I have a front mount intercooler I still want to install then I can go and do the chip.
At what power would I look at if I have the following upgrades ?

3' SS exhaust with cat removed.(Already installed)
Intercooler upgrade.(Size 600mm x250mm x 75mm)
Chip with 2 stage programing.
Manual Boost controller.(Already installed)

KilBoyPwrHd 10-30-2018 03:48 AM

You are correct on oil & water mixing, but i don't think this is the case, if oil is burning the smoke colour should be a blueish grey not white, White smoke usually indicates coolant getting into combustion chamber, so it could be leaking through your headgasket.
Not too sure on total HP but should be a sizable power increase,
If you are looking to improve performance, check these guys out, they specialize on Audi, could maybe get an indication of what the parts you listed should add in.
https://www.goapr.com

Riaan18t 10-30-2018 04:31 AM

Thank you I will keep an eye on my water level as this should go down with time if this is the case. Thanks for the web page , I had a look and should go up to +- 223 hp with these mods.
That's not to bad for a heavy 1.8t engine.