Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

external oil cooler

Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM
1st Gear
Default external oil cooler

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
i have my 03 tt coupe up on stands as my turbo was starting to smoke. i removed it and Boostlab here in Temple Terrace Florida put a new BW center section in it for under 460$.
My thought here is this. I would like to run an external oil cooler in the oil feed line to the turbo, hopefully to extend the life of the fresh turbo. i know i need to replace the oil feed line to eliminate the possibility of reduced oil flow to the turbo as a result of sludge buildup in the feed line. For the price of a new line i believe i can get a small cooler and braided steel lines with AN fittings and install it where the stock intercooler on a 225 would be as i have a 180 fwd model.
Does anyone here have any ideas pro or con as to my plan and line of thought ?
I welcome any and all thoughts and suggestions you folks here might have.
Metalman, please jump in and share as it appears that you've really done your homework on the 1.8T.
Listed below are my current mods and i do plan to add a FMIC and a GIAC tune in the not too distant future.

3" down pipe with 3" high flow cat and 2.5" exhaust pipe back to a 2.5" turbo muffler. Silicone TIP with K&N filter in stock airbox. (all raised webbing in airbox has been removed)
Neuspeed intake manifold gasket. All pcv and emissions stuff removed and catch can installed using Savko's writeup on audifreaks.
That completes the list of powertrain mods that i have done.
I look forward to all of your replies.
tom

Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

c'mon guys, 45 views and nobody with any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM

Can't say I've ever heard of using an oil cooler pre-turbo, just for cooling oil directly before it enters the turbo. (especially for a stock turbo)

My opinion: get a stainless braided oil feed line (you should be able to find pre-made setups, I use Psi Concepts on my car), and be done with it. On the longitudinal 1.8T the stiff stock turbo oil feed line sucks to work with/around and I have more confidence in the braided stainless line.

Here's a potential con to adding an oil cooler pre-turbo: normally the oil pump needs to build up oil pressure upon starting the engine. By adding more volume to be filled before the turbo, it may take that much longer for the turbo to receive adequate lubrication. I imagine this could potentially shorten the life of the turbo.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 AM
1st Gear

Thanks MetalMan. That thought came up, but i think that as long as i don't go too big on the cooler and keep the i.d. of the lines and cooler the same i should have no problem. i plan to mount the cooler high inside the fender to have it equal to or slightly above the turbo in elevation. your thoughts?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM

I'd say that as long as you give the engine a few seconds to build up oil pressure before moving the car, it will probably be fine. Just make sure to keep us updated with your progress