Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

First time Audi guy Questions help me out

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down First time Audi guy Questions help me out

Hello im new to the Audis but i really like the way the A4 looks. i see that some are turbo charged like the 1.8 motor. i would like to know what people here suggest. so heres a couple questions

Im coming from the honda scene and ive turbo'd my car with my goal being 300-350 high and low being 200-250 WHP i spent around 4-4500$ on it. now before building this i had no idea how to do any so tutorials were key. most of it was done at home and some at a shop (welding exhause and Down pipe, tuning too) so my plan is to sell this old civic and buy an audi A4 stick shift (i hate automatic) and try to reach the same goals.

what year do you guys recommend? i want to buy the car for under 7-8K

Will i need to change Stock internals? Pistons or rods or both?

will i need a bigger turbo? intercooler?

how about injectors or fuel rail?

tuning? ive read people chipping. im in vegas anyone know a place close?

any links to tutorials?

Ive searched and see people talking will a bunch of acronyms and i have no clue and they give little detail. i would like to know if reaching my goal is possible or even done? please help me out just want some insight on how the audi community is. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

Are you wanting to do this on factory turbo

Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiA4-Lover
Are you wanting to do this on factory turbo
Yeah I figured that it has turbo internals so it can handle more boost right? What do you suggest?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JXB94
Yeah I figured that it has turbo internals so it can handle more boost right? What do you suggest?
Honestly man unless you upgrade the turbo leave that factory one alone I have that same audi 1.8 t and I came from building Hondas also. I've heard of nothing but negative things happening when you mess with factory turbo. And they are a fortune to fix. So unless you have the car under warranty leave it alone and just upgrade it.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Hello im new to the Audis but i really like the way the A4 looks. i see that some are turbo charged like the 1.8 motor. i would like to know what people here suggest. so heres a couple questions

what year do you guys recommend? i want to buy the car for under 7-8K
Which generation A4 most interests you in terms of body styling? I personally prefer the B5 (have 2 right now myself).
You can buy a used stock B5 in decent shape for about $4000 depending on where you live and various other things.

...my goal being 300-350 high and low being 200-250 WHP...

Will i need to change Stock internals? Pistons or rods or both?

will i need a bigger turbo? intercooler?

how about injectors or fuel rail?
To reach 200whp you'll need to upgrade your turbo to something like a K04-0015. You will also need an upgraded intercooler, exhaust (including cat, and preferably a high-flow manifold). An upgraded tune will be necessary as well, and the tune you choose will denote the choice of injectors/FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). The stock fuel rail is good beyond 300whp.

To surpass 300whp/300wtq you'll definitely need to upgrade the rods, but everything else could stay stock. And of course you'll need a bigger intercooler and turbo.

tuning? ive read people chipping. im in vegas anyone know a place close?
"Chipping" means flashing a tune. In the old days a physical chip would be soldered in place on the ECU, but those days are gone and everything is done through a software flash. Typical software flashes for a B5 1.8T on a stock turbo will net ~200 hp and 210 ft-lbs at the crank.

any links to tutorials?
Definitely search Google... all the information is out there. But to get you started, check out the B5 A4 FAQ:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...f-q-**-109459/

Ive searched and see people talking will a bunch of acronyms and i have no clue and they give little detail. i would like to know if reaching my goal is possible or even done? please help me out just want some insight on how the audi community is. Thanks in advance.
Acronyms... post them up and we can solve them for you. Many have far exceeded your goals, and as always, your wallet is the limit.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Which generation A4 most interests you in terms of body styling? I personally prefer the B5 (have 2 right now myself).
You can buy a used stock B5 in decent shape for about $4000 depending on where you live and various other things.

To reach 200whp you'll need to upgrade your turbo to something like a K04-0015. You will also need an upgraded intercooler, exhaust (including cat, and preferably a high-flow manifold). An upgraded tune will be necessary as well, and the tune you choose will denote the choice of injectors/FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). The stock fuel rail is good beyond 300whp.

To surpass 300whp/300wtq you'll definitely need to upgrade the rods, but everything else could stay stock. And of course you'll need a bigger intercooler and turbo.

"Chipping" means flashing a tune. In the old days a physical chip would be soldered in place on the ECU, but those days are gone and everything is done through a software flash. Typical software flashes for a B5 1.8T on a stock turbo will net ~200 hp and 210 ft-lbs at the crank.

Definitely search Google... all the information is out there. But to get you started, check out the B5 A4 FAQ:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...f-q-**-109459/

Acronyms... post them up and we can solve them for you. Many have far exceeded your goals, and as always, your wallet is the limit.
do you know anything about b6 model a4? Mine keeps giving me problems the hazards randomly come on. And also yesterday it didn't want to start and I just bought a new battery.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM

I personally don't have experience with the B6, but post your problems up in the B6 forum (if you haven't already) and somebody may be able to help you.

Just in general, though - if your hazards come on randomly, that makes me think your hazard switch may be the culprit. On the B5 it's a moderately complicated piece of hardware that sometimes fails.