AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   FMIC VS Dual SMIC to keep boost on high RPM (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/fmic-vs-dual-smic-keep-boost-high-rpm-152483/)

Soravia 06-27-2010 01:11 AM

FMIC VS Dual SMIC to keep boost on high RPM

I'm researching into getting APR ECU upgrade and noticed that the reflash gives a lot of torque at low RPM but everything drops after 4,500 rpm. Without upgrading the K03 turbo charger (for quicker spool) I'm thinking of increasing the intercooler capacity to extend that torque to higher rpm, something closer to 6,000 rpm.

Most FMIC I read about needs cutting or removing the front bumper core, which to me is simply stupid to remove that protection. So I'm thinking dual side mount intercoolers and hopefully keeping the stock on too.
Will a Dual SMIC setup make me remove the smog equipment?

Are there difference in performance compared to a good FMIC? Will having dual SMIC make the turbo lag increase over FMIC of same capacity?
Which brands should I look for in decent price range?

turbo kraut 06-27-2010 10:36 AM

dual side mounts have been discussed many of times.... if you don't have an bi-turbo car you don't need or won't benefit from dual sidemounts

and the only guys that are removing the core completly are bi turbo guys and people like mike hood, but with over 600 awhp you need that big of a core

my .02 get a fmic that fits, there are plenty out there, or upgrade your one side mount...

jhuffman 06-27-2010 01:37 PM

+1

I don't think that the intercooler is your problem here. The k03 simply doesn't breath that well at high rpms. If you want to keep some high end torque above 5k rpms your going to need a k04.

turbo kraut 06-28-2010 09:48 PM

i never had a problem with my car pulling from higher rpm's.... it actually pulled through all the rpm range.... the only time i had issues pulling was when i was in too high of a gear, and once you get the rpm's high enough walla

your problem with "pull" might be vac related

Soravia 06-29-2010 12:49 AM

My car is stock, and I don't get power out of it until I hit 3,500 rpm. Is it supposed to be like that from the factory?
It's got 100K on it and even after some working done as well as I could, the car runs just smooth, but not much power in terms of torque until I ht 3,500. Coming over from a Sentra SE-R Spec V. It really bothers me that I have to keep hitting high rpm and the car is still slower than stock RX-8.

cincyTT 06-29-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jhuffman (Post 1217872)
+1

I don't think that the intercooler is your problem here. The k03 simply doesn't breath that well at high rpms. If you want to keep some high end torque above 5k rpms your going to need a k04.

Its true that the ko3's are out of breath, but they also make a ton of heat. upgraded smics or a fmic will be a big help at keeping all that tq you make and keep timing from being pulled. Both will do the job, just depends on which you prefer. You can fit more cooling with a fmic than smics.

R.A.I. Motorsport 07-14-2010 06:14 PM

OP, I would get an upgraded SMIC and call it a day