Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos
I got a problem... In mid gear is it of too much boost >

I got a problem... In mid gear is it of too much boost

Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

I got a problem... In mid gear is it of too much boost

Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation I got a problem... In mid gear is it of too much boost

I got a audi 98 quattro. I got a problem in mid gear where my car s ta rts to fail like a 88 carburator junk... Th en it like clear and takes off flying but is killing is like all smooth boosting and then is gooes like pru pru ptu pa pa then it like clears out and just fly .. Is it the factory ecu... I had microtech stand alone engine management but it was A pain. Ac wont work some times.. And other issues.. Giac is to expensive to flash every 3 months since I keep putting upgrades... 700$$$ atleast in puerto rico it is that much for a flash.. Is that a lot?? Is a daily driver so I like 12 psi to go to work not 20 lbs or 28 lbs of boost is too much gas money... Lol.. I had these idea of the computer going crazy cuz it has so much pieces that r not factory... So I was thinking maybe the computer wont let it go more than 8 pounds(in spanish is lbs) and thats the problem... So I am puting my.manual two stage turbo valve set to 8 lbs pounds to see if it will be fix... I really need some guidance on this and other things... This is my first post ever in my lifetime... Hope to get help... This is my first audi since I had 7 VW... Teach me some... Thankz in Advance... I got some pictures in my profile any tips or tricks let me KNoW!!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

So nobody can help great... Any ideas or brainstorming is been a 2 year project ... Spend so much money in this car and I am stock right now... Hoping the Audi comunity can help... I have done a lot to correct couple of problem... Just re adjusted throtle si nce it wyo uld not stay on and will,turn off...

Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

I am just going to say that I read your first post and I barely knew what you were talking about. You need to list everything you have done to the engine otherwise no one is going to have any idea.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

I apologize for my bad english sjnce I am born and raise im Puerto Rico just left 5 years to US to join the Army... I got JE pistons , crower piston rods, titanium rings on pistons, ported the head intake and exhaust, big throttle and the thing between the throttle and the head ... In english jt goes some thing like intake ****... It got titanium valves springs, u see where I am going.. I have replace a
Most every factory part or done something to upgrade it... I had a big intercooler put on it as well *** a much bigger turbo put on ot a g something, got wastegate and blowoff, header made 4 it.. I had a stand alone engine managment system called MicroTech on it a programable system on it . Took the factory computer out. It was nice running 28 pounds of boost on it. But a/c = air condicioner was not working and some other little things where not working properly. So I took it out and put back my factory computer on And took the time to recondition the ride again. Oil change took apart every thing assn d clean it sandblasted. U know clean the engine on the inside. Is been 2 years and 7,000$$$ dollars later and 6 kids to u know slow down on my car. So I took every single racing gauge and racing thing other that was in the inside. Then things got bad. Took my electronic turbo valve of. And just let it be a factory car. Take in mind that car put 450 hp before. Since that factory computer was put on some thing like "£limp mode"started. Car wont idle. It will turn off as soon u turn it on. So I will push the gas pedal to keep it going and it will but ...,how can j say this ... Just sputtering? Trying to turn of on low rpm. It will clean up .. But around 3500rpm it will start doing it again.. Mid gear problem I told u about. So I started from the begining.. Is air, fuel or electronic. So I took it to my electromechanic, he said u got a problem. U
Your new $200 dollar battery is damage. 5 days new! Battery was a Optima 1000 cranking amp. Your alternator is noT charging the battery. Ok I said put I new one. He tested it . It was good. Ok next step was to get reading of it. Found out idle by that I mean the car rpm where so low jt wont charge battery. Remember car turning off I told u about. So I said ok. Fuel was ok. Is pumping right amount fine. Is air. So I started from the begginig . Got it throttle needed tuning. Ok. Did it. Car idle now stays on charge battery. Music on. Lights all good. Took it 4 spin. Goes great hit 3500 4000 rpms. There goes that mis fire or sputtering.. Like I said a put put pa pa pa ta LIKE BAD MIXTURE OF AIR AND FUEL THEN HIT 5000 and will clear up.
Thats the mid gear problem. My idea is tu put a manual valve for boost on wastegate so I could go down to 8 pounds of boost like factory. Since I got factory computer now. I heard audi factory computer only let u run 8 pnds of boost. Any higher will make it go to limp mode or just crazy. Bad mixture maybe of air and fuel? Yhere is only one Giac guy here. I want to stay away from it cuz is a mote money. Can I keep all my parts on with f ac tory ecu? I just want to go to my job and come back slowly. 4 now!!
Just need guidance not a Audi expert. Humvvee , 5 tons , Bradleys , abrHams tank , lmtv , fmtv , mtv arr my thing. Military vehicles . ... So please help

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Cool

Thankz eveybody for the help.. Got it working... No help ... I am legend.. SoMe people talk to talk some write to write and then there are some who say nothing because they know nothing... Call GIAC again got discount since is 20th time buying from them. Lol buying chip 4 friends work... Lol

>>>Audi A4 1.8T Quatrto™ 450 hp @ 22 of boost = hard day of work.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 AM
1st Gear

What was wrong with it? I would like to know just for added knowledge.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
4th Gear

Wait, were you running a factory stock ecu with a larger turbo and different fueling? Any upgrade to the fueling or turbo needs the correct tunning. The factory tune just has the wrong fueling curve and adv timing curves to work on anything other then the stock turbo/injectors.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up I fix it already... Yes stock evu it is still. Just put my manual boost controller t

Put it to 8 of boost and is givinng me no problem. Microtech is already bought just gonna puy in in 2 weeks time . Thanks for the shoutout even is a little late ... Thankzs...