Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

K04-15 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear
Default K04-15 Questions

First off I'd like to say what's up to everyone out there. I knew very little about Audi's (B4, 5, 6... K3, 4... REVO, GIAC.... etc.) before today so thanks for all the good information. The reason I came here is to get some more info on a new turbo for my everyday car. I have a 1999 A4 1.8T Quatro sport package -w- 111k miles and my turbo is shot so, I figure why not replace it with a bigger one. I don't want to go too crazy and I have about a $2000 buget. For now I'm thinking about going with the K04-15. I also plan on getting a better diverter valve, a chip, and a boost gauge. I've been to a few web sites looking at kits and one comes with bigger injectors and no FPR, the other comes with an FPR and spark plugs, but no injectors... So, for my questions... Am I really going to need new injectors? FPR? Spark plugs? Which chip to go with REVO, GIAC, or any others? And any other advice or recomendations? Also where I can get these parts as cheap as possible...
Thanks-

Old 07-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Default RE: K04-15 Questions

bump
noobie here also would like the same info

Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: DrunkenSailor

I've been to a few web sites looking at kits and one comes with bigger injectors and no FPR, the other comes with an FPR and spark plugs, but no injectors... So, for my questions... Am I really going to need new injectors? FPR? Spark plugs? Which chip to go with REVO, GIAC, or any others? And any other advice or recomendations? Also where I can get these parts as cheap as possible...
Thanks-
Some use a FPR to increase fuel pressure to add the extra fuel needed while others keep the same fuel pressure and just swap injectors. It really comes down to what the tuning calls for. The fpr is a cheaper option and will supply enough fuel under boost and wont bother idle. The larger injectors will be working on a lower duty cycle which is better for them but cost about $120 more than a fpr. So it just depends on what the chip/kit chooses to use. So if you go with one, you shouldnt need the other.

The best way to get the stuff cheaper would be to send Clay from kineticmotorsports an im He has been know to work with people and help them get everything they need.

You are going to need a colder spark plug when you switch turbos and go to a smaller gap (.028 instead or .032).

Old 07-21-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

Alright, I did some research and bought a Hybrid Fordged DV, K04-015 turbo (used), FMIC, Greddy Turbo Timer, Apex'i AVCR electronic boost controller, GIAC PC-16 chip (overnighting them my ECU monday), 380cc injectors, Bosh spark plugs (smaller gap), a turbo gasket set, and 3 bar FPR (Forced Induction). Wouldn't all FPR's be Forced Induction?

I bought the DV, turbo (used), FMIC, Turbo Timer, and boost controller from A4Rollin. (Great guy, a pleasure doing business with) Cost me $950 to my door. Then I bought everything else from AWE Tuning $1063.46. I still have to pay shipping for the chip but, not too much over budget. Then somewhere down the line I plan on getting an a new exhaust and I think I'll be all set.

In my research I never read anything about a 3 bar FPR but that's what the guy from AWE told me in needed with the PC-16 program and the 380cc injectors. I'm going to call back tomorrow and ask someone in the service department. I was also told I might need a upgraded TT225 MAF, part number 06a 906 461ex, I'm going to see what they say about that too. Other than that, I can't wait to get to work and hit the streets. Audi Nation Baby!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm make believe

[quote]ORIGINAL: DrunkenSailor

Wouldn't all FPR's be Forced Induction? All fuel injected cars have FPR's

In my research I never read anything about a 3 bar FPR but that's what the guy from AWE told me in needed with the PC-16 program and the 380cc injectors. gti/jetta/tt all run 3bar FPR's. That will give you 380cc's on those injectors, @ 4bar they would be close to 440cc's and thats WAY to much fuel for a tiny ko4-015

I'm going to call back tomorrow and ask someone in the service department. I was also told I might need a upgraded TT225 MAF, part number 06a 906 461ex, I'm going to see what they say about that too. - agian depends on the sw tuner. The .25" bigger maf lets in more air for the car and will work better with those injectors

Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks cincy... Good info. Is there a formula or pressure/volume chart for the injectors?

I ripped out my old turbo today. I knew it was shot but I was expecting to find the shaft siezed or sloppy. What I found was shocking, the compressor and the turbine were fine but the waste gate was missing. The flapper valve disk actually made its way through the seat and into the turbine nozzle. I want to take a picture before I remove it, it's wedged up there.

So I replaced my K03 with a K04, installed my new 3 bar FPR, my injectors, and started piping up the FMIC. I have the Apex AVCR EBC but I was a little disappointed when Audi wasn't in the instilation manual, I think I'll still be able to do it after searching around the forum just now. But, I'm not clear about the N75 valve. If I hook up the EBC than I can remove the N75, and if I don't then I should get a boost/vac gauge and leave the N75 in. Does this sound right or should I just leave it in?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Also, if I do remove it is that going mess up the ECU at all?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM

well if you use an ebc you will leave the n75 in its place and leave the electrical cord pluggd into it or you will get a cel. the ebc will hook up to the two lines that come off of the n75. Your ebc should have a boost guage on it so you can monitor tand set he boost levels. if you dont hook up the ebc the sw will use the n75 to set ypour boost.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

id get an exhaust with the quickness, because back pressure and all that stuff. like a 2.5" or maybe a 2.75"
techtonics tuning

Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

That's definitely the next thing on the list. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a used one.

Quick Reply: K04-15 Questions