Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

K04 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Agreed, I definitely feel that the GTRS is worth a shot.

Well sounds like quite the ordeal. Please post pics when your done I wanna see the final outcome.

Oh by the way I forgot to ask what DV you're using? I assume it's the FT DV?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Yeah, using a FT DV. However, the original DV that came with my FT kit, wasn't the greatest design (and to my knowledge a different one is included with current FT kits). Doug ended up sending me a different DV, which I've been using for 6 months or so.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Ok cool, I don't think my 710n will last long with a GTRS. Anyways I've also been having some trouble with my oil filter lately. The last few times I've changed my oil I've used a Mobile 1 HUGE filter - I think it's a M1-301 something like that not 100% sure but it's one that O'Reileys recommends blah blah blah better than the tiny little stock filter but anyhow there's been a few drops of oil on the end of it each time I go to remove it after 4-5k miles so I'm thinking I need to switch to a different filter. I'm getting an oil burning smell whenever I reallllllly step on it and I'm thinking that's why. So my question is what oil filter are you using? I know there's tons that are super small, and I'm not totally against using one of those if it doesn't leak slowly over time, but I'd like to have a big one that doesn't leak.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the Mobil 1 filter. I've used it several times (part number sounds right), but have mostly used Mann filters, and the occasional K&N.

Perhaps you're cranking the oil filter on too tightly? Do you apply a thin layer of oil onto the rubber seal on the new filter before installing it? Next time you pull the filter you could try tightening the nut that holds the oil cooler in place (I think this nut rides on the shaft that the oil filter screws onto).

Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Ok I'll try that. My dad always likes to help me change my oil and is always **** about putting on a thin layer of oil and NEVER getting it too tight. I trust him I mean he's done a million oil changes before. But I'll try to tighten the oil cooler like you mentioned I hadn't thought of that. The stupid filter is just in such a terrible spot it's hard to know what you're doing.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Yeah I know what you mean, can't see crap back there. I've even dropped the oil filter a couple times, which of course splashes oil everywhere. But I don't have the secondary washer fluid reservoir so there's more room to work (deleted the headlight washers).

Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Ok sounds good. On a closer look, looks like there is residue all underneath my oil cooler on the block itself looks like it's coming from that area. From the top view, the oil cooler and oil filter look flawless, and everything above that area is bone dry. But looking further down, it looks as if my block is almost wet with oil. So I'm going to be picking up a new oil cooler seal, since it seems to me that it's coming from in between the oil cooler and oil cooler (adapter?) thing, (whatever the oil cooler bolts up to). Anyways, I'll try that and examine the oil cooler thoroughly when it is out.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Oh and I copied your signature, at least the layout of it. (Hopefully it'll get as long as yours one day )

Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM

I dunno, it hurts the wallet to have such a list. My list is actually quite a bit longer than what's in my signature
Check it:
AudiForums.com - Garage Portal

But thanks for the "imitation is the highest form of flattery" thought

Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Wow that's impressive. How do you like your clutch/flywheel setup? Also any chance you could take a pic of your wideband 02 sensor? Not sure where to put mine and can't seem to find a write up! And why didn't you just use the CX Racing piping for the intercooler? Do I need a bigger fuel pump if I get the GTRS?

Dang, I'm basically gonna do the "metalman conversion" lol.

Quick Reply: K04 Questions