AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   Looking for ideas (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/looking-ideas-160365/)

B6A4Ohio 11-22-2010 08:34 PM

Looking for ideas

I have an 02 A4 1.8T and its lacking the power that I would like to be getting out of it. It is a tiptronic so I'm not sure what I can do to give my car a little more spunk with not a lot of money. The only upgrade that I have done is replace the stock diverter valve with a beefier aftermarket dv/bov combo valve. Other than that its all stock other than the tail lights.

vooo5269 11-27-2010 11:33 AM

you can do a fmic (front mount intercooler) maybe a chip for the tip and the engine ganna be like $1000 but other than that i dont think there is much of an option without giving up more money

vtraudt 01-07-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by vooo5269 (Post 1263089)
you can do a fmic (front mount intercooler) maybe a chip for the tip and the engine ganna be like $1000 but other than that i dont think there is much of an option without giving up more money

I don't know what the model of your trans is (check it out and look for other cars/models that use the same trans), and therefore what the torque/hp limits are.

But there is certainly quite a bit room. Aside from FMIC and chip, you sure can upgrade your K03 turbos to the level that I have on my 1.8T (I have custom built turbos, compressor side K04+ level, turbine side (used K03 core) limited), running 18.5 psi at 4000 rpm (previously, 12 psi with TAP chip). FMIC, test pipe, stock injectors. I put a stock ECU in once (to train it) with the stock 7 psi, and oh boy, what a difference. I had to replace my turbo anyway, so the upgrade was only a couple of hundred dollars (over rebuilding the K03).

Standard way (aggressive) would be K04-015 with GIAC PC16, injectors, FMIC, adjustable FPR. Other, similar K04 tunes are out there.

"Big Turbo" is not an option I would say.

Mike-2ptzero 01-11-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by vtraudt (Post 1274742)
I don't know what the model of your trans is (check it out and look for other cars/models that use the same trans), and therefore what the torque/hp limits are.

But there is certainly quite a bit room. Aside from FMIC and chip, you sure can upgrade your K03 turbos to the level that I have on my 1.8T (I have custom built turbos, compressor side K04+ level, turbine side (used K03 core) limited), running 18.5 psi at 4000 rpm (previously, 12 psi with TAP chip). FMIC, test pipe, stock injectors. I put a stock ECU in once (to train it) with the stock 7 psi, and oh boy, what a difference. I had to replace my turbo anyway, so the upgrade was only a couple of hundred dollars (over rebuilding the K03).

Standard way (aggressive) would be K04-015 with GIAC PC16, injectors, FMIC, adjustable FPR. Other, similar K04 tunes are out there.

"Big Turbo" is not an option I would say.

Fact is that how quickly the tq hits is what will hurt the Tip Transmission and the K03/K04 hit harder then a Elim kit which is why there are plenty of TIP owners running Elim kits on their cars. Down side to going larger turbo on a TIP car is the larger the turbo the higher in the rpm it spools up which means 1st gear ends up taking forever to get out of and the car ends up feeling very slow from a standing start.

I have a customer that is running a GT35r on his TIP B5, but that is way too much power even for his built transmission.

vtraudt 01-11-2011 11:36 AM

The trans is one limiting factor.
Trans power handling capacity is determined by torque (not HP).
Up to a certain point, the torque converter and the clutch packs are the main limiting components (extreme power levels would ultimately effect the 'mechanical' (i.e. gears, shafts) as well, but other components failed long before that).

I am still trying to get more facts (not assumptions) and 'real world' reports from users with auto and upgraded turbos.

I also tried to find out more about the trans used in the RS6 vs. the standard (the model number has an "A" at the end in addition; otherwise same; read it has larger torque converter and consequently larger bell housing for example)

High torque will effect the friction packs in the trans, lockup clutch in the converter:
- they may slip longer, wear quicker
- the torque could possibly reach a level that they just keep slipping above the level (very short lifetime), similar to an overwhelmed manual clutch
- the hydraulic (torque converter itself) will generate more heat; increased cooling capacity for the trans cooler is advised
- the torque level is key based on what I have found, not the time required to build the torque, i.e. a turbo that puts out 150 lbxft at 1950 rpm (stock 1.8T) will strain the trans less than a turbo that puts out 300 lbxft at 4000 rpm (think Elim); a K04 with 200 lbxft at 2500 rpm similar to an Elim with 200 lbxft at 4000 rpm

Who has experience with upgraded turbos and auto trans?
Lifetime? Repairs/damages? Upgrades to the trans?

efgh692 02-10-2011 04:22 AM

thousands of forfeit

thousands of forfeit wow gold opportunities for Fan Ben. Yang wow accounts Dynasty pronto preserved a activity wow power leveling carte, situated in look of android tablet their own. Yang Ming's childlike fill so decisively was really .