Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

My turbo? Or my motor?

  #1  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Default My turbo? Or my motor?

Hey guys I'm new here. I have an issue (or so I think) that may be to do with either my turbo or my motor.

I have a 98 a4 1.8t, I recently installed a cone air filter for performance, and of course for the sound of my dv to be louder. However even though I can here my dv now after letting off at 4000 rpms (a sputtering release, turbo surge I'm sure) there is also a tzzzz sound that I hear right after. I can't tell what it is but I have taken a video and I am HOPING someone can help me.

Now I apologize if this issue has already been addressed, and if that's the case modz feel free to direct me in the right direction and cancel this thread.

Anywho here is the link to the YouTube vid, I thank you all in advance.
 
  #2  
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
1st Gear
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 442
Default

that sounds like wastegate rattle.
 
  #3  
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by tofast2belast View Post
that sounds like wastegate rattle.
You know that's what I thought too, but when you listen to like the rhythm closely it's sound #1 like its coming from cat and #2 that is might be the back spinning of the turbine?

Reason I think that is because when the dv blows off its flutters (turbo surge) and literally after the blow off you hear the tzzzzzz
 
  #4  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 442
Default

The waste gate flange plate is right next to the turbo exhaust turbine and before the cat. What DV do you have?
 
  #5  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by tofast2belast View Post
The waste gate flange plate is right next to the turbo exhaust turbine and before the cat. What DV do you have?
I have stock dv.
 
  #6  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
1st Gear
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 442
Default

i dont hear turbo surge this is what compressor surge sounds like.


yours sounds like this

 
  #7  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by tofast2belast View Post
i dont hear turbo surge this is what compressor surge sounds like.

compressor surge - YouTube

yours sounds like this

BMW 335i Wastegate Rattle - YouTube
Hmmm slightly confused. The videos have the cho cho cho sound. But I don't hear the tzzzz sound.

Although in all of this I forgot to mention, Out of every Audi that I've heard on YouTube with a cone air filter you can hear the diverter valve you can hear the blow off when they are taking video at the engine bay when manually revving the motor... But mine you can't, rather tzzzz

Say it is compressor, what the diff in compressor vs turbo, what's the worse that can happen, can't imagine it's an easy fix
 
  #8  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
1st Gear
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 442
Default

Originally Posted by Idoccanada View Post
Hmmm slightly confused. The videos have the cho cho cho sound. But I don't hear the tzzzz sound.

Although in all of this I forgot to mention, Out of every Audi that I've heard on YouTube with a cone air filter you can hear the diverter valve you can hear the blow off when they are taking video at the engine bay when manually revving the motor... But mine you can't, rather tzzzz

Say it is compressor, what the diff in compressor vs turbo, what's the worse that can happen, can't imagine it's an easy fix
the second video with the bmw sounds more like yours. the first video is what compressor surge sounds like( compressor = turbo. what you actually hear is the compressor side or cold side turbine fins being suddenly stopped in rotation due to pressure spike and the sound is the fins back cutting the air.) <- very bad for turbo it can cause blown seals and broken turbine fins, as well as messing up the throttle body plate.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BT5150
B5 Models
0
06-11-2010 06:57 PM
KPTSTORM
Audi A4
1
09-03-2009 04:45 PM
jracer72
Vehicles for Sale
9
01-07-2008 09:01 PM
fadein
Vehicles for Sale
1
02-06-2007 04:58 PM
CdnAudiNewbie
All Other Audi Models
1
01-31-2005 04:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My turbo? Or my motor?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.