AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   Need info to build an Audi 90 Quattro for drag strip (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/need-info-build-audi-90-quattro-drag-strip-120454/)

audipower90 12-10-2008 01:42 PM

Need info to build an Audi 90 Quattro for drag strip

Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum, soon will join the audi clan, i was a convert from Mercedes and now own volkswagen, but audi seems the only next logical choice.

Here is what i plan to build
i want an early 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 5spd, to be built into a 10sec drag strip car and do serious damage to japanese tin metal scrap racing here (Canada)

I've seen it done in europe, since i dont know all the possible bolt on configurations that can be done .. I have to consult with the experts (you)

Is it possible to acheive this by taking the stock 2.3L powerplant, be it 20v or 10v and replacing it with the 5cyl 20v turbo that is in S4 (199x year not too sure)

And also if that engine fits bolt on to the transmission, what do i need to do to it so it supports a larger turbo and alot of boost?

I'm mechanically inclined, have the place and time to do this so you can be very detailed.

Thank you

Mike-2ptzero 12-11-2008 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by audipower90 (Post 1006291)
Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum, soon will join the audi clan, i was a convert from Mercedes and now own volkswagen, but audi seems the only next logical choice.

Here is what i plan to build
i want an early 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 5spd, to be built into a 10sec drag strip car and do serious damage to japanese tin metal scrap racing here (Canada)

I've seen it done in europe, since i dont know all the possible bolt on configurations that can be done .. I have to consult with the experts (you)

Is it possible to acheive this by taking the stock 2.3L powerplant, be it 20v or 10v and replacing it with the 5cyl 20v turbo that is in S4 (199x year not too sure)

And also if that engine fits bolt on to the transmission, what do i need to do to it so it supports a larger turbo and alot of boost?

I'm mechanically inclined, have the place and time to do this so you can be very detailed.

Thank you

Contact 034 Motorsports seeing that the older cars are what they specialize in. The owner has a audi 80 that has made well over 700whp, but it has only ran low 11's at the drag strip. We are a 034 motorsport dealer so getting you any parts they sell for your car wouldn't be a problem but I dont really know those older cars that well.

audi90quattro 12-16-2008 10:13 PM

go to youtube and check out "audi 90 turbo" the blue car....it has the 5cyl turbo 20v and it sounds amazing...i have a 93 audi 90 cs and its awesome i love it

Lookin4Trouble 01-27-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH (Post 1006660)
Contact 034 Motorsports seeing that the older cars are what they specialize in. The owner has a audi 80 that has made well over 700whp, but it has only ran low 11's at the drag strip. We are a 034 motorsport dealer so getting you any parts they sell for your car wouldn't be a problem but I dont really know those older cars that well.

Not to be a dick or anything, but how do you run a car with that kinda power and still not pull single-digit times? TBF, I sold the last car I owned that pulled low times with lots of boost (99TA, Procharged/IC'ed/Geared/etc - 565hp/617tq with major belt slippage, PB of 9.34, guys who bought it put another couple grand into suspension and DRs and pulled a respectable mid-8), but it's not unheard of in the Grand Prix (FWDV6) community to run high 11s around 350-380hp, low 11s in the 440-470 range, and the fastest FWD 3.8 pulled an 8.994 pushing ~700 on a twin stattama setup (full bucket racer, like what the OP is looking to build).

Sorry that I'm way off topic, but it just doesn't make sense to me, kinda like asking what the difference is between a 400hp supra and a 1200hp supra - they both run 12's in the 1/4, so you tell me?

Mike-2ptzero 01-28-2009 09:56 AM

Gearing and traction issues. I run mid 10's in my A4 that only put down 570whp with a damaged exhaust wheel on my GT35r. It isn't like we can throw on slicks seeing that our drivelines cant handle it, breaking shafts becomes a huge issue at that point and even most of the S4 guys snap axles which if you haven't noticed are very thin and fronts for the S4 guys are hollow.

There are a few 700+whp S4's that run drag radials that couldn't even get into the 10's or 130+ traps and those both run at very fast tracks in NJ. But yet I was able to run 10.8 at 131 mph in an S4 making 650whp, did that with very weak street tires and running in 90+ deg temps at the up hill track in Fontana.

Most of it falls on the driver. I have even seen APR stage 3 A4's run 14's and thats the same as what I ran with my custom chipped K03.

Lookin4Trouble 01-28-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH (Post 1032440)
Gearing and traction issues. I run mid 10's in my A4 that only put down 570whp with a damaged exhaust wheel on my GT35r. It isn't like we can throw on slicks seeing that our drivelines cant handle it, breaking shafts becomes a huge issue at that point and even most of the S4 guys snap axles which if you haven't noticed are very thin and fronts for the S4 guys are hollow.

There are a few 700+whp S4's that run drag radials that couldn't even get into the 10's or 130+ traps and those both run at very fast tracks in NJ. But yet I was able to run 10.8 at 131 mph in an S4 making 650whp, did that with very weak street tires and running in 90+ deg temps at the up hill track in Fontana.

Most of it falls on the driver. I have even seen APR stage 3 A4's run 14's and thats the same as what I ran with my custom chipped K03.

Fair enough... so what does Audi make your axles and half-shafts out of, paper mache? I destroyed 2 rear diffs in that TA, and am much more likely to blow the diff or input shaft in my Grand Prix than ever snap a half-shaft. These cars started with the same(ish) hp/tq numbers, how do you manage to break axles when you're not even shock-loading them (as I do with the Supercharger)?

Add-on bonus question, what's to keep you from using (example) a forged shaft as opposed to the hollow ones in the front of the S4? I realize that it's costly, but not _terribly_ so - I can pick up a gun-drilled input shaft for my Prix for about 50% higher cost than aftermarket OEM-style replacement, and the aftermarket for GPs is crap compared to S4's...

E

Mike-2ptzero 01-28-2009 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lookin4Trouble (Post 1032584)
Fair enough... so what does Audi make your axles and half-shafts out of, paper mache? I destroyed 2 rear diffs in that TA, and am much more likely to blow the diff or input shaft in my Grand Prix than ever snap a half-shaft. These cars started with the same(ish) hp/tq numbers, how do you manage to break axles when you're not even shock-loading them (as I do with the Supercharger)?

Add-on bonus question, what's to keep you from using (example) a forged shaft as opposed to the hollow ones in the front of the S4? I realize that it's costly, but not _terribly_ so - I can pick up a gun-drilled input shaft for my Prix for about 50% higher cost than aftermarket OEM-style replacement, and the aftermarket for GPs is crap compared to S4's...

E

They are thinner then a 2 yr olds arm. I am going to guess you have never even looked at the drivetrain of the B5 A4/S4.

There isn't much room for more then the stock size half shafts.
http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca..._Shaft_New.jpg

Is your car AWD, because AWD driveline has way more load put on it then a FWD or RWD car.

Picture of a axle from a S4 2.7 that made less then 500whp, he broke it while launching and he has done it a few times.

http://www.jaybquick.com/Pictures/01...BrokenAxle.jpg

Lookin4Trouble 02-02-2009 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH (Post 1032699)
They are thinner then a 2 yr olds arm. I am going to guess you have never even looked at the drivetrain of the B5 A4/S4.

There isn't much room for more then the stock size half shafts.
http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca..._Shaft_New.jpg

Is your car AWD, because AWD driveline has way more load put on it then a FWD or RWD car.

Picture of a axle from a S4 2.7 that made less then 500whp, he broke it while launching and he has done it a few times.

http://www.jaybquick.com/Pictures/01...BrokenAxle.jpg

HOLY CARNAGE BATMAN!

I'm not talking about bigger hollow half-shafts, I meant same size but, Idunno, not hollow?

hehe my car is FWD and I guarantee I'm putting more shockload on it than a 500AWHP S4 - 280ish hp/tq kick in LOW in the curve thanks to smaller displacement + supercharged engine

That said, that's in-fucking-sane. I'd be looking for replacement shafts that aren't made like bird bones =oO

E

Mike-2ptzero 02-02-2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lookin4Trouble (Post 1035162)
HOLY CARNAGE BATMAN!

I'm not talking about bigger hollow half-shafts, I meant same size but, Idunno, not hollow?

hehe my car is FWD and I guarantee I'm putting more shockload on it than a 500AWHP S4 - 280ish hp/tq kick in LOW in the curve thanks to smaller displacement + supercharged engine

That said, that's in-fucking-sane. I'd be looking for replacement shafts that aren't made like bird bones =oO

E

Only the OEM fronts are hollow, the rears are solid but are over all much thinner. Here is what my rears look like.
http://www.performance-cafe.com/images/axle.jpg

I actually make more then 570awhp with a little 4 cylinder, still run the thin OEM A4 shafts and have yet to snap one with drag radials on the car.

Do you mind posting up your dyno plot? There are S4's making 650-700awhp running twin GT28's.

Lookin4Trouble 02-10-2009 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH (Post 1035191)
Do you mind posting up your dyno plot? There are S4's making 650-700awhp running twin GT28's.

Next time I head down to Richmond for a dyno-tune day I'll be sure to get the printouts/pics... Or were you talking to OP with the 500+HP S4?

E