AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/)
-   -   STS style turbo system on a 3.0L a4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-26/sts-style-turbo-system-3-0l-a4-32545/)

02vortec 05-24-2006 08:33 PM

STS style turbo system on a 3.0L a4

Hello i am wondering if anyone has done a STS style turbo system on their 03 audi a4 3.0L. i have done 3, 2 are custom one on an s10 pickup 4.3L , a ford 5.4L, and helped a friend with his camaro install. Recently my friend has wanted alot more power out of his a4 since his goals are a grand touring car. The supercharger from PES looks clean and im sure well engineered but the price tag is a little steep for him. not that its to expensive just the amount of hp you get from it.

so first i have a few basic questions before i actually present him with a priceing on parts.
Things i need to know- First off its an 03 Audi A4 3.0L v6 quattro tiptronic

We are looking for 300AWHP can the stock motor handle that?
Weakest part of the motor?
How much hp can the tiptronic transmission handle?
Weakest part of the transmission?
What is compression ratio on the 3.0L?
Stock fuel injector capacity. WHP?
Stock fuel pump capacity. WHP?
Does anyone tune for bigger injectors on a 3.0L?

If no one can tune the 3.0L for bigger injectors i am thinkin i can go with an MSD 6plus to controll ignition timing and an SDS EM-4 : EIC (extra injector controller) to control the fuel and timing on boost

thanks for the info.

kakarot 05-24-2006 11:56 PM

RE: STS style turbo system on a 3.0L a4

good questions.

300HP is relativly posible.
weakest part in the engine, well I would think none, read up on the superchargers. the HP amount somewhat same and if breaks it be becouse of the boost.
tranny, not my major. but I would think you woulnt break it.
compresion should be in rounds of 10 to 11:1
the tuning, simply piggy back the ECU, the stockers should be enough to hold the AF.

02vortec 05-25-2006 11:31 AM

thanks for the information, i dont know if i clarified but i am looking for 300awhp but if you did get that correctly then thats awsome.
a piggy back such as a megasquirt unit could control the injectors or some extra injectors if need be or the SDIC which i said in my post before.

10:1 is scaring me and 11:1 ahhhhhh why even bother with boost i hope that it @ least 10:1 be more boost friendly than the 11:1. although they do boost s2000's w/ 11:1 compression so i will look into that a little more.

kakarot 05-25-2006 10:47 PM

actually, you can easily go to 8psi safe. and tempting 10psi with proper intercooler and probably water injection.
piggy back, I know of, is SMT # from perfect power. they piggy back in newer models of device, fuel, ignition, boost (waste gate) and have 8x8 matrix per each thing.

read a book called 0-89586-135-6
it has lots of info and short and all that is needed.

jonus079 08-02-2006 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 02vortec

thanks for the information, i dont know if i clarified but i am looking for 300awhp but if you did get that correctly then thats awsome.
a piggy back such as a megasquirt unit could control the injectors or some extra injectors if need be or the SDIC which i said in my post before.

10:1 is scaring me and 11:1 ahhhhhh why even bother with boost i hope that it @ least 10:1 be more boost friendly than the 11:1. although they do boost s2000's w/ 11:1 compression so i will look into that a little more.

10 to 1 isnt to bad.....def not ideal but not to bad. iv seen turbo ls1 camaro's. the ls1's compression ratio is abotu 10:1 and there are turbo kits for stock ls1's with stock internals. but idealy a turbo engine should have something like 8 to 1 like the dsm's (8.1:1).

jonus079 08-02-2006 12:38 AM

correction dsm compression ratio is 8.5 to 1 or 7.8 to 1

kakarot 08-03-2006 03:27 PM

its not a big deal on the compresion, the big deal is cooling the charge. without intercooling, there not much you can do on it.

A4-3.0-guy 05-19-2013 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 02vortec (Post 276774)
Hello i am wondering if anyone has done a STS style turbo system on their 03 audi a4 3.0L. i have done 3, 2 are custom one on an s10 pickup 4.3L , a ford 5.4L, and helped a friend with his camaro install. Recently my friend has wanted alot more power out of his a4 since his goals are a grand touring car. The supercharger from PES looks clean and im sure well engineered but the price tag is a little steep for him. not that its to expensive just the amount of hp you get from it.

so first i have a few basic questions before i actually present him with a priceing on parts.
Things i need to know- First off its an 03 Audi A4 3.0L v6 quattro tiptronic

We are looking for 300AWHP can the stock motor handle that?
Weakest part of the motor?
How much hp can the tiptronic transmission handle?
Weakest part of the transmission?
What is compression ratio on the 3.0L?
Stock fuel injector capacity. WHP?
Stock fuel pump capacity. WHP?
Does anyone tune for bigger injectors on a 3.0L?

If no one can tune the 3.0L for bigger injectors i am thinkin i can go with an MSD 6plus to controll ignition timing and an SDS EM-4 : EIC (extra injector controller) to control the fuel and timing on boost

thanks for the info.

////hey i have a 03 a4 3.0l as well and all I hear from people is dont do it don't do it, well I spent 9 grand on the car !!! So guess what I'm going to do it haha, if I could get some help from you, did you complete the build ?? How much time an $ did It take I'm really willing to spend what I have to. I want to twin turbo, I have a kit in mind that I'm willing to purchase , also have tons of old inter cooling pipin/ brand new from a civic build I did. The kit I want to buy comes with everything except !!! Headers and a down pipe. I'm thinking just taking my stock ones to a machine shop along with the turbo(s) and having them machine the exact wholes you know to fit the turbos. I have found a downpipe that will work its off of a 1.8t and I would just have to adapt the end of the downpipe to my exhaust which isn't a big deal at all. The only problem I'm hearing about a few things kind of major though.

1 being tuning. I have heard its going to be extremely hard to get someone to tune it. I'm not sure what software I want to run.
2 I heard its going to be hard to fit the turbos inside the engine bay. But my mind is not set on the twin I'm willing to run a single charge.
3. I have a 6 speed engine with a vjet chip in it already. Also have wide band air fuel gauge and oil temp gauge ! Installed , il just need a boost /vac gauge. Plus I have sitting in my room a stage 2 clutch masters clutch got as a gift haven't installed yet but that's a plus.

IF I COULD GET ANY INSITE ON THIS BUILD I WOULD GREATLY APRICIATE IT , I don't wanna hear don't do it. Because as I stated ... I am doing it.
Ideas as to
Sts style
Twin turbo
Single turbo
-where to get a tune
-What softwear
Someone just please jump on this and go to work on talking to me about this ASAP haha please