North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi Manhattan - NYC (horrible)

Hello everyone,
I originally posted this on the "Dealers" section of the forum, but also wanted to spread the word in more general topic areas (recommended by another forum member). All of the posts can be seen here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=113227

The short of it is that the Dealership has not taken any responsibility for selling me a damaged car. They have not "stepped up to the plate" in anyway as a responsible representative of Audi of America, though they knowing sold a dangerous vehicle to a long time Audi owner. If anyone can provide any assistance or if you have any recommendation, please, please let me know.

Thank you.

====================
I've been a long time BMW and Audi own and still have my beloved '88 Quattro. 8-months ago I went in to buy a used Allroad 2.7. I was ready to buy that night. As I looked through the inventory with the salesman, Vincent Schommer, he came across a '01 Volvo V70XC and given the price point said it was a great car, just came in, and in perfect condition. I've never bought from a dealership, but have been buying parts from them for a long while. I was just getting married, starting a family, and wanted the reliability of buying from a very credible dealership - and I was completely wrong. It was in the evening, but he showed me the Volvo and it looked great and started right up. He sold me on this car instead of the Audi I wanted. Before picking it up, I emailed him a checklist of all the things that I wanted him to confirm had been gone through and checked out perfectely - engine and transmission included. He said it was perfect and checked out thoroughly by their service dept. I trusted them. I picked up that car and noticed that night that the engine would surge at about 20mph, the car would fall out of gear, rev to over 3,000 rpm and then clunk into gear. I emailed called the next day. They again took it into their service dept and said this was minor and would be fine after the scheduled service. I had my doubts, but believed them. The transmission issue continued and I went back in again. This time, one of their managers game me a $400 check to help with the "minor" adjustment the transmission needed. The issue continued and got worse. I had the 65K service done and the Volvo dealer charged me over $900 to fix the transmission issue - which it didn't fix. I again took the car back to Audi Manhattan. I was very concerned and didn't want this car -- they didn't offer any make good by taking back the car - instead, they said I would need to give them another $8K to put me into a different used car. That's all they would do.

For the last 8 months, I've been wrestling with Audi America and taking the car into the Volvo dealership and indpendent shops to document and possibly fix this problem. The car surged into traffic as my wife pulled up to a stop light in a very busy intersection - she was freaked out and will not get into the car again. The car finally died in another part of town last week - transmission lights on, engine check light on, and the warning symbol light flashing on the dash.

This is absolutely ridiculous that Audi would not do something about this. They sold me a very bad and unsafe car to an Audi owner... The salesman, Vincent Schommer, completely lied about the condition of the car just to get it off their lot. They tried to cut me a $400 "go away" check - knowing that this was a bad car. I've been in contact with Audi America about this, but without too much help from them. I cannot believe this dealership's practices not only to a historic Audi owner, but a consumer who is starting a family and putting us into an unsafe car. I gave them a few chances to make good on this, but they never came through and turned their backs to the issue. I'm not sure how this is possible - I believed in their reputation and the Audi brand, but am now stuck with a dead car because of issues I pointed out to them in the very, very beginning. How can brand Audi?

Sorry for the excessive rant, but I've never had such a horrible experience with a dealership in anyway.