AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   North East (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/north-east-38/)
-   -   Best Roads in Northeast (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/north-east-38/best-roads-northeast-2692/)

Mark Lyons 09-09-2004 09:48 PM

Best Roads in Northeast

Okay - this is inspired by gman, where he talked about winter driving in VT.
What are some of the best stretches of road for a sportscar in Northeast/New England? Some of my recommendations:
Route 2a, Western Massachussets, through the Berkshire Mountains.
Kangamangus Highway (spelling?), White Mountains, N.H. - avoid leaf peeper season, or you will be trapped behind 12 miles of motorhomes.
A very short, esoteric road - Old Shore Road - from York Beach to Perkins Cove, Maine.
East to west through the Allegheny National Forest and past the Kinzooa Reservoir, western PA.
Route 4 (?) through the Green Moutians in Vermont - again, avoid the tourist season.

ImolaS4 09-12-2004 09:08 PM

RE: Best Roads in Northeast

You got the spelling right. I'd agree with you on the Kanga.

The Kangamangus Highway, a two-lane road that runs through the WMNF, offers many spots for hikers and day travelers to stop and take a not so beaten path andexperience the beauty and wonder of this spectacular forest.
As far as the others... I don't know them, but Route 2A sounds good.

hb972.8q 09-15-2004 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Mark Lyons

Okay - this is inspired by gman, where he talked about winter driving in VT.
What are some of the best stretches of road for a sportscar in Northeast/New England? Some of my recommendations:
Route 2a, Western Massachussets, through the Berkshire Mountains.
Kangamangus Highway (spelling?), White Mountains, N.H. - avoid leaf peeper season, or you will be trapped behind 12 miles of motorhomes.
A very short, esoteric road - Old Shore Road - from York Beach to Perkins Cove, Maine.
East to west through the Allegheny National Forest and past the Kinzooa Reservoir, western PA.
Route 4 (?) through the Green Moutians in Vermont - again, avoid the tourist season.

Kangamangus Highway is definitly a great run.

ImolaS4 09-15-2004 08:38 PM

Mercedes Magazine (Fall 2004) re-printed CAR AND DRIVER's "Best Driving Roads In America":

Route 100 (Vermont)
Highway 1 (California's Pacific Coast Hwy)
Highway 89 (California)
Highways 118, 166, and 17 (Texas - Davis Mountains Scenic Loop)
U.S. 1 (Florida Keys Overseas Hwy)
Routes 97 and 17 (New York)
Old Mine Road (New Jersey 615, 521, and 23)
U.S. 40 and 40A (Maryland National Road)
U.S. 7 (Massachusetts)
Great River Road (Illinois 100)

I am very surprised that the all-American highway, Route 66, was not mentioned. Makes me wonder what their criteria was for the top ten.

audispeed2001 12-12-2004 03:20 PM

I went to college at Keene State in Keene NH and the drive from Manchester to Keene was a lot of fun. The best drive was 93 north to 89 north to 9 west. 9 west has been updated and it can lots of fun at times. Not a lot of people drive it during the fall which is nice.

insuite 05-26-2005 12:13 PM

Newman! I was going to say Route 100 Vermont. Doesn't get any better.

Sliver 01 A62.7T 06-08-2005 11:02 PM

Bear Mountain Bridge Road --- Route 202 near Peekskill, NY

CRAZYHAWK 06-10-2005 10:16 PM

On the west side of the Hudson River, from Sloatsburg,NY to the Bear Mountain Bridge, Seven Lakes Drive.