North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Has anyone visited Marty's in New Milford NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Default Has anyone visited Marty's in New Milford NJ?

Has anyone visited Marty's in New Milford NJ? If so, what was your experience? Please give details re: overall satisfaction in how the repair went and how you were treated by him and his two boys Steve and Andrew. I'm not a spy. I recently had a questionable experience and wanted some feedback, but need you guys to go first.

Thank you in advance MORE than you know!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Has anyone visited Marty's in New Milford NJ?

Had my 96 a6 avant there a few times. it is a scrappy shop, but marty seems to know his stuff.

I have not had a bad experience there. what was your trouble?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:58 PM

Well, I don't have an Audi, but it was a 2001.5 Passat 1.8T

Went in for 60,000 check up and was told "big service" "$400.00"

Dropped it of at 9am two Fridays ago. No word from him all day. Never picked up the phone or it was constantly busy. Started to call on Sat about 12 noon and same as above. I call him again and he says "it's not ready" "you need rear brake pads." I said really? and he said "yeah............wait a minute.............call me back in 5 minutes"

Now we go to Monday 10th (day three). My wife and I were very busy but still tried to call a few times. Busy or no answer. We are growing concerned.

Tuesday (11th) I call and no answer or busy AGAIN but finally get thru at about 4:45pm. I ask what the damage is and he says, "$1140"

About 10 seconds of silence goes by and I say how much????????????????????? He says, "Oh you needed a water pump and we changed the belts." By now I start to feel my blood pressure stirring. I say to him that I NEVER got a phone call from him the ENTIRE time he had the car and that maybe he should've put that passed me??? Am I out of my mind on this???????

I go the next day with my father in law to pick it up and for what seemed like an eternity, we argue the price and how HE, NOT ME, dropped the ball on this one. He shows me a water pump that looked fine. Not new but not a leaking unit. He then shows me the belts. Again, not new, a little wear, but not looking like they were gonna fail on us in the next week or so. He kept at it with line after line of BS. I truly believe we did not need a water pump. I'm not a mechanic, but I know more than the avg. guy about cars and how the run and when certain components fail. I feel that we were taken advantage of and worked like heck to leave his premises for a price of 650.00.

Here's the best part, I paid cash. I know. I don't need the lecture. The very next day, my wife calls me from the car and tells me that the engine light STILL comes on. We go back on Saturday 15th and his boys tell me to calm down (Thaaaaaaat was funny) and that they forgot to check for mass air flow when they hooked up the diag machine to the underside of the dash. I have no receipt to prove he received $600.00 from me so now I'm fumin' real bad and wondering if I take it to the dealership, will they give me some BS story about the work done elsewhere. You see, I found out (after the fact) that the water pump (the one that supposedly needed to be replaced) and timing belt are covered under the 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain. Marty has been doing this for 26 yrs and my question is why the friggin' hell did he not know to check for this and why did not know that it may be covered and why the PHUKK did he assume it was OK to do the substantial work without propper notification?????????? Of course, this last part is all rhetorical.

While my car was their, it had a hubcap "stolen", an engine cover fastener went missing and nice greasy fingerprints on the interior.

So, yeah, it went well.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 AM
2nd Gear

WOW, HOLY **** MAN.. i cant believe it. when i had my car there, i was there, all of them run around like chickens with heads cut off going from car to car, phone never stops ringing and cars come & go all day. it isnt the nicest/organized shop ive seen. the one time i left the car when i picked up, and of course not until i get home, they left the underbelly shield off. it is like a hour drive for me to go there. i am suprised about the whole unauth work thing. that is really bad!!

how did you hear of martys?
i was considering going back, i have a cel, and service reminder and a few small things to be done.

now i may re consider, and find a new place.

sorry you had a bad experience. were you dealing with marty? did you go back to get the cel taken care of? and the other things?

dam that sucks.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 AM

There's more! Can we speak on the phone? Check your PM.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

Sorry to hear of your problems. I didn't use them for my timing belt job, because they quoted me the same as the dealer and their shop is a mess.
I go to Edge Motors in West Haverstraw NY. Sergey does good work at reasonable prices.

www.edge-motors.com

Last edited by CRAZYHAWK; 12-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.