North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Newbie from NJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Default Newbie from NJ

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so forgive me in advance for asking stupid questions or if I'm posting on the wrong board.

A bit of background - I'm from Burlington county, NJ but my husband and I have been living abroad on business for a few years and are planning to move back to the States in a few months. We currently have a BMW 535 and have only had BMW's since we've been married. Prior to marriage, when I was still in the USA, I always had Japanese cars. Anyway, we are not bringing our current car(s) with us and are planning to buy a used (2003/2002) A6 when we get back to the States.

So, here's my very general question (sorry I'm not tech savvy!) - is it a huge pain in the ****/expense to repair Audi's in NJ? Where we currently live fixing European cars is VERY cheap and easy. When I lived in the States I always had new cars so repairs were minimal. Buying a used, European car is a bit scary for me and I'm worried about being bogged down by time consuming and uber expensive repairs.

STUPID questions, I realize - but who fixes Audi's in our area? Can you go to the typical, general mechanic or do you have to go to specialized ones? How difficult is it to find parts? How much more expensive is it to fix an Audi than say the typical Japanese or American car?

My husband is very mechanical and can probably do most minor repairs, but beyond that we really have no idea who to take the car to. I always feel like I'm getting totally screwed every time I go to a mechanic in the States. I wish I knew an affordable, trustworthy mechanic - that would really make my life so much easier.

Sorry for the ramble and idiotic questions. If I'm on the wrong board I apologize, just let me know where I should be posting.

Thanks so much!

Em

ETA: My husband is not American so he has no idea about fixing cars in the States, that's why I'm asking, lol.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

First off, let me say welcome home!
Having a used Audi not a problem if you make sure the car you buy is in good shape to start.
I do not have an A6 so i don't know all the things that can go wrong with them but I am sure that there are plenty of people who could tell you what to look for.
Servicing an Audi is like any other car, make sure you go to a reputable mechanic and you will be fine. Again I don't live down by you but I am sure there are plenty of folks who will tell you who is good and who to stay away from.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Autosport Performance in Englewood Nj (right off of Route 4) they do very good work and specialize in Audis. So give them a try, but im not sure how far Burlington county is from Bergan County so this might be of no help at all haha.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

burlington county is way down south. definitely not feasible to go to englewood. what are the prices from that mechanic btw, i need a good mechanic up here.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
4th Gear

Sergey does good work at reasonable prices. He's an hour away.

www.edge-motors.com

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM

There not too bad, but a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

WOW...$500 for a tb job? thats insane. and i know where that is. my cousin used to live in west havestraw. he knows that place, says its great. ill look into it when i need work done. ill probably need a brake job in a couple months or so.