AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   North East (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/north-east-38/)
-   -   Turbo replaced by Grand Prix Performance Tuning in Wantagh, L.I. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/north-east-38/turbo-replaced-grand-prix-performance-tuning-wantagh-l-i-146729/)

dmaxn 02-28-2010 08:54 PM

Turbo replaced by Grand Prix Performance Tuning in Wantagh, L.I.

Let me just say, I apologize right now for this long rant.

I went to that unprofessional shop owner Joel at Grand Prix Performance Tuning in Wantagh, L.I. to remove and install a faulty turbo from my APR stage 3 turbo. The Garret turbo had about 3k on it and developed an oil leak; it was coming out of my exhaust and was leaking into the FMIC. I took my car in, and had it diagnosed by a mechanic I trust, but I figured since the installation was done by Grand Prix performance Tuning, then I would go back to them because the turbo is still under warranty. I was not the one who originally purchased the kit and had them install it, but was recommended by the original owner to visit them if any problems developed. BIG MISTAKE! Joel pretended to be nothing but nice when I dropped off the car, and even gave me a tour of the shop. He called me the next day and was trying to sell me brakes and rotors, so I said “hold on, what’s up with my turbo?” Oh, I just thought I would quote you the price on the brakes since you asked about them yesterday.” Joel what’s up with my turbo first?” “Well its leaking oil from the seals and it’s under warranty, so it’s going to have to be sent back to APR overnight”. “Ok, what’s the bill going to look like?” He replies “$200 to ship and $750 labor”. “WOW! That’s kind of high I said?” He then tells me I can pick up my car, but he would charge me accordingly. I then tried to reason with him, about going there because he did the original installation and the turbo being that it was under warranty. Well with a growl in his voice he told me “that’s the best he could do”. I told him to proceed with the work due to the fact that he already had my car in his possession and would charge me for the diagnosis. I then called a few people to rant and was told that I could deal with Garret directly, and have someone else remove and install the turbo. I call Edge Motors in West Haverstraw, N.Y. and was quoted by Sergey the shop owner “$250 for labor and $50 to $100 dollars for gaskets and coolant”. He then suggested that I overnight it also for maybe $200. I called Joel back and was transferred to him. He answered the phone and I said” Joel, its David with the a4”? “Hold on” he says and someone else picks up the phone, his shop manager, whose name I can’t recall at the time. I told him I was holding for Joel and he then tells me “Joel is busy what can I do for you”? Things were then starting to feel real awkward. I asked him to just leave my car untouched, I have changed my mind. So than he proceeds with a quote "you will be charged accordingly".” Why” I asked him? We have removed your turbo and packaged it for shipping. Less than two hrs had past and they already had it boxed up for shipping? Total bill was $1035 for a turbo that failed with 3k on it and under warranty.

On a side note I contacted Chris at APR during all of this, and was told very curtly that they do not dictate labor charges for their distributors. I then asked if he would be able to help with the shipping charges and was told NO! I knew the answer would be no, but thought I would at least give it a try. The way I was rudely cut off before I could even tell my story to him, led me to believe I may have caught him at a bad time. This turned out to be a waste of time due to Grand Prix Performance Tuning shipping out the turbo directly to Garret and nobody at APR wanting to even hear my story.

Sorry for such a long rant, but thought my lessons learned would benefit someone on these forums. If I would have used the search engine I would have found out that several members have suggested to stay away from that shop. Can someone tell me if they think this is a reasonable price?

Bklynrx7 03-06-2010 08:54 PM

I dont know where you live but I would have went there immediately to verify if it had been removed or not. The were probably BS'ing you. Anyway thanks for the heads up about these guys.

dmaxn 03-07-2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bklynrx7 (Post 1184016)
I dont know where you live but I would have went there immediately to verify if it had been removed or not. The were probably BS'ing you. Anyway thanks for the heads up about these guys.

I live in New Jersey and was at work at the time. I figured by the time I arrived they would have removed it anyway. Took this one as a expensive lesson learned and would warn anybody thinking about using them.

trbosqrl 03-20-2010 03:16 AM

sorry to hear what happened if ur in tht area u should check out a shop called e2 motorsports . i did not know these guys from a whole in the wall and they were very reasonalbe and dependable