Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2000 Audi A4 1.8T NO HEAT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A4 1.8T NO HEAT

Hello all,
I am new to owning an Audi and have just started my journey on the German side earlier this week. I picked up a high mileage A4 earlier this week with a full stack of service records and it runs and drives great! Honestly it drives smoother than my 09 Pontiac G8 (which is still a beast in comparison lol) but the Audi is awesome. The problem: no heat! I knew I would have to put some work into it but I am looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues so I was looking for guidance. Below is all the information I have from looking at it:
1. Coolant resevoir is full and coolant seems good; some build up near the cap but service records showed a coolant flush done about 50k ago
2. The car does NOT overheat
3. There is pressure in the system, if I take the cap off after running slowly the pressure will evacuate
4. There is no coolant running through either the upper or lower radiator hose lines
5. There is no coolant running through either the inlet or outlet heater hose lines.
6. Service records show that the car has NOT had a timing belt waterpump done in the last 100K

*My Thought: Thermostat is stuck closed and not allowing coolant to flow OR (maybe and?) the water pump impeller internally has failed and is not pushing coolant anymore
My first plan of action was to just get a timing belt/water pump kit with a thermostat and just do all of necessary maintenance. A lot of work but I should have it done in a day or so time providing.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I just want to make sure I am on the right path here I've never had a car run with zero coolant running through any hose and a full resevoir???

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-2018, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

I will follow this thread. I just bought a 2004 A4 with 150,000 on the dial, and mine seems to have a heat issue as well. It will get warm, but not really warm enough.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

Has the air been bled from the heater core?
Its above everything else and air rises, just a guess.

The heater cores plastic input tube may be brittle under the hose, so be carefully. Though its long enough to break off under the hose and still leave enough sticking out of the firewall to reattach the hose on new tube.
There's a tiny hole in the side of the heater hose so you can pull it almost off to let the air out (with cold engine running? Check the Tec manual) then slide it back on. Clamp.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Hello all! 2 days ago, I checked DSR Leasing website and they provide such an amazing offers for each and every car. I'm sure that you'll find an interesting deals here. https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...-lease-359-mo/