Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

3M Clear Car Bra?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Question 3M Clear Car Bra?

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/3m/Ac...on_Kit/548720/

My gf's dad wants to put one of these bras on his 09 Q7. Obviously, I don't want him to get it from this site, because I don't trust it, but anyone have one/know how hard they are to put on? What about other brands? Opinions? Are they hard to care for?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Administrator

I looked into one of those, several years ago. Only found one place in Metro DC that would even consider attempting to put one of thos one, Wanted a small fortune, too. Guy said he dint think it was worth putting one on the 4y/o car I was gonna do it on. Don't have the number anymore, but I kinda remember him saying it was basicallly a big ***'d decal. tends to yellow after 3-ish years, but your paint stays pristine under it. pain to install, so have it doen professionallly.

Of course, I'm old, so my memory ain't what it used to be.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Administrator

I got it done at a local place here in SoCal.

It was around $500 IIRC. I had it for close to 2 years now and it seems to be holding up well.

One thing I'm not really a fan about is the cut. Since it's only 1/4 of the hood that is covered, you can see the little cut (where the clear bra ends) when you look closely. Of course most people do overlook this but it would bug me at times.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM
5th Gear

its installed just like tint. with soapy water, and patience. probably best to leave it to a pro.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear

Anyone knows if the whole hood can be done?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dan1969
Anyone knows if the whole hood can be done?
Not too sure. That's gonna take a lot of material tho.

I would probably say some places do it (I guess at the very least they can combine two films) but for an extra fee (of course).

Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
4th Gear

I wanna do the whole car... in 10 years the paint will look like new

Old 08-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
I wanna do the whole car... in 10 years the paint will look like new
split the difference... USe painter's tape!
http://crazytopics.blogspot.com/2006...with-tape.html

Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Up in here in Oregon alotta dealerships will do this to cars brand new, and they will call it the northwest package or something like that, my uncle has it on his Yukon he got year before last and its a champ, specially in the winter when the roads are graveled a lot, frond end of the rig looks amazing still after taking a beating throughout the winter...

An acquaintance of mine, my friends friend, i think hes a d-bag, did this to his new STI and wanted the front end done, then his rationale was to have the shop doing it take all the extra material and cut it to fit the spokes of his wheels so they wouldn't get damaged in the winter time up at the mt. He thought it would be easy and no more money that what he was already paying, we were like dude... that's labor, and they will charge for it... i don't think he ever got it done.. haven't talked to him in about a year and don't care too

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Really? Wow....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3M Clear Car Bra?