Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on CA vehicle code

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default Advice on CA vehicle code

Does anyone know if it's legal for a cop to give you a ticket FROM private property? That is, I'm on a public road but he's sitting in a parking lot. I always thought that they weren't allowed to sit on private land.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I don't know if it's legal but I've seen a lot of cops do it around where I live.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Administrator

depends on the ticket i spose. If they give you a ticket for trespassing on said private property i think thats ok. but if they're sitting in someone's driveway shooting you with radar and writing you a speeding ticket, i don't think thats legal unless they have permission from the owner of the property.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Administrator

I believe commercial parking lots are fair game. Public access means there is "implied consent," if I am not mistaken. Private drives (as in driveways) are different. It is NOT a commercial property, so the rules differ, somewhat.

Ultimately, it depends in the law of the land where you are at. Goto: http://www.findlaw.com/ and see if you can determine what the deal-ee-oh is.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

Have you seen their plates? They say CA EXEMPT.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Ohio, Yes i can write you a ticket from a swimming pool if I wanted! When a resident complains about people speeding in front of their house. We will sit in their driveway and run radar! We don't sit in random peoples driveways do to the fact if they need in and out hence why we sit in parking lots a lot! In Ohio we also ticket you from the sky! A heli or plane will clock you and radio to a car and have the car pull you over and cite you! Also on a side note you can be charged with reckless op even if you're driving on your own property!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Also on a side note you can be charged with reckless op even if you're driving on your own property!
Two things come immediately to mind;

1) that SUXXORZZ

2) How would you know?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Site Moderator

In california they can ticket you from private propety with the owners concent. If they were sitting on a persons property and they didn't have permission to they "aren't supposed" to ticket you. Almost any cop can ticket you for driving recklessly on your own property though, which is completely unconstitutional in my mind.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Administrator

Note to self: perfect Cloak of Invisibility, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra-large "Car-Sized" version!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

yeah! I have faced this situation twice here in california.

Quick Reply: Advice on CA vehicle code