AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   All Season Tires (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/all-season-tires-37427/)

KevinA4 07-26-2006 04:23 PM

All Season Tires

Hey, I've been shopping around for a while online looking for the best tire. I've read reviews, and even reviews of reviews. I live in Indiana and get some snow in the winter, and I'll be driving this everyday. I want something that is a good balance between treadlife and performance, as well as something that won't kill the piggy bank. I've heard good things about these tires, but also I've heard not-so-good things....depends who you ask. Has anyone ran the Falken 512's? Some say that they wear quickly, but are a good tire. The BF Goodrich received good ratings, but are a little more expensive then I want, and are difficult to find (at least in 225/45 - 17's).

Potenza G009

Yokohama H4S

Falken Ziex ZE512

Kumo Extsa ASP

BF Goodrich Traction T/A

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

techbod 07-26-2006 04:52 PM

RE: All Season Tires

225/45 - 17's nice broad wheel there, Yoko are crap for long term use they are soft so don't last as long, BF Goodrich Traction T/A sound better but I use pirelli personal choice I suppose but down to cost

KevinA4 07-26-2006 04:56 PM

The p6 four seasons got tore up on tire rack...which model were you talking about?

beefski 07-26-2006 04:58 PM

I have dunlop sp sport a2 on my a6 avant, and on my chevy lumuna as well. so far i have no complaints at all. good all around tire.

Chingy 07-26-2006 05:09 PM

i'm going to be in the same boat. I have the p6 all season, came with car(don't know how many miles they have). I live in indiana as well, last winter it didn't snow much, but it gets cold and icy. I bought my car this spring so no expierence with it in the snow yet. Tire reviews are mixed there are lots of good ones and lots of bad ones. Hard to really tell somtimes.

techbod 07-26-2006 05:13 PM

the P6 are good in the UK and we rarely see the snow you get at least not where I live;) have you thought about studs or chains (studs are illegal here :D but ok in the alps

KevinA4 07-26-2006 07:10 PM

Stud/chains aren't an option. We don't have a whole lot of snow (around 6" here and there) and the roads usually get plowed. I would rather drive slower in the winter then pass up some handling during the summer. Chingy - where are you from? I'm in Fort Wayne.

anyone know anything about the Falkens? My buddy just got some one his SRT-4 and likes them, but I hear the treadwear isn't as good as they boast.

AWDaholic 07-27-2006 12:05 AM

I can tell you about teh Falkens... I've worn Falkens since 1998. Swear by their All-Season UHP's (Ultra High Performance). Z-Rated, when I was in Europe, V or W, here in the World.

BEST all-Seasn UHP, dollar for dollar. Others may outperform them in 1 or 2 categories, but NO ONE beats them overall! Some people say they are noisier than oter brands, and I'd hafta agree, in general, but they're quieter in the Ziex 512 than they've been in the previous model. Still moderately noisier than, say Pirelli, as ap oint of refernce. One other major complaint I've heard is their "squirrelly" behavior under cornering and especially in quick transitions. Years of personal experience and experienmenting have taught ME that that does occur, typically, at factory recommended preassures. This has been my experience in using them across 4 different cars of differing sizes, categories, and performance levels... (AWD Opel Calibra, RWD Porsche 924, FWD Toyota Camry, and AWD Audi A8). My solution is to inflate them to 2-10lbs above factory recommened pressure for the vehicle. Experimentation will determine the best setting for handling.

Do know this, you'll ONLY get about a year of practical use out of thhem, unless you swap in a summer tire. For Winter, I'd put NOTHING else on my rides. For Summer (well, NEXT Summer, anyway) I'd put some dedicated Gunni on there. Not sure of what Id get, at this point, but I AM comfortable with my Falken experiences. I like their breakaway charactistice (gentle, at the limit, not abruptly, as I've experienced with Michilins, for instance). I LOVE their wet-weather road-holding. I've had them up to 120-135mph, steady-state driving, in light rain. Highway entrance/exit loops at as much as 60mph with my almost two-ton A8, same conditions. Slightly less in the Camry. 80-100mph, in lightly snow-covered highway driving, with the Opel. All in Europe, obviously, and, by virtue of the timeline, under the tire model that preceeded the Zeiz 512. But, I have had the 512's up to 80mph, in the rain, on my Camry, and 60mph on heavily snow-covered highays (zero traffic, 4 or more lanes, LOTS of room for errors) with TOTAL confidencem, on several occasions.

midohioguy 07-27-2006 12:34 AM

i've got some conti sport contact 225-45-17's that are pretty nice. no complaints here.

KevinA4 07-27-2006 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info, though I'm not sure what you mean by "you'll ONLY get about a year of practical use out of thhem". Surely you don't mean that the tread will only last a year with regular driving...

I'm leaning towards the Falkens 512's - they seem like the most practical choice...