AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Anyone with over 200,000 miles? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/anyone-over-200-000-miles-153795/)

BrettE 07-22-2010 04:30 PM

Anyone with over 200,000 miles?

Right now, I have an Acura Legend. I'm looking for a new car and have narrowed it down to an Acura TSX or an Audi A3. Yes, I know those 2 are different beasts, but they're the only 2 cars I'm looking at right now. I want the Audi more, but Acuras are Hondas, and Hondas last forever and aren't ridiculously expensive to maintain (My Acura is at 221,000 miles right now.) So, Anyone with high mileage: can you post how many miles you have, how well your car has held up, and just a short version of your Audi experience? Will I get the same long life from the Audi as the Acura with proper maintenance? Thank you to anyone that posts!

TeeterTawter 07-22-2010 04:45 PM

my old work van (02 chevy astro) had 498,500 kms when it decided to quite, I wanted it to hit half a million but it never did.

headshok2002 07-22-2010 07:45 PM

It'll go to 200k+ for sure... but it'll cost you more than an Acura to get there. You'd likely enjoy it more, though. TSX is very much a honda. Cheap interior, but nice enough to drive. The A3 is obviously a fair bit heavier, but you'll get a turbocharged engine that makes 50-60% more torque than the Acura. Chip it and you'll double the TSX's torque. A3 has a fairly nice interior, too. Much nicer than the TSX.
But you'll get better fuel economy out of the Acura, and you will most definitely spend less on maintenance.
German cars are for people who at least have some passion for driving. It's the only way to justify the added costs.

JETSPEED333 07-24-2010 11:35 AM

on my 1999 a4 i've got 275,XXX miles... =)

i just keep changing the timing belt every 60k or so and oil every 5k... runs great... i even upgraded the turbo and am boosting 16lbs.. pretty fast for an a4....

the tsx's are actually kind of expensive,... i was suprised cause my girl was interested in one but they cost way too much... there's many other cars i'd get before i'd pay what they want for those things....

BrettE 07-26-2010 12:31 AM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by JETSPEED333 (Post 1224985)
on my 1999 a4 i've got 275,XXX miles... =)

i just keep changing the timing belt every 60k or so and oil every 5k... runs great... i even upgraded the turbo and am boosting 16lbs.. pretty fast for an a4....

the tsx's are actually kind of expensive,... i was suprised cause my girl was interested in one but they cost way too much... there's many other cars i'd get before i'd pay what they want for those things....

Nice! Has it broken down at all? Any unexpected repairs? This one is probably a hard question, but how much would you estimate you've spent on your A4, and at what mileage did you buy it?

What cars do you like better than TSX's? I was also looking at a Nissan Altima coupe or a Hyundai Genesis (coupe and sedan).

JETSPEED333 07-26-2010 11:16 AM

The timing belt did break on me once... not good when that happens.... the cylinder head will need to be replaced after that happens, lol.... i didn't care too much cause the head had a ton of miles on it and i wanted to upgrade the turbo anyways... so i replaced it with a brand new aeb head from odessa cylinder head for a great price $550 and threw on a ko4.... all in all cost me about 2k

i actually work for hyundai and the new genisis is pretty awsome.... i'd just replace the emblems with the KDM ones and the thing looks like an astin martin (coupe)... the sedan is pretty nice too... great looking cars, and can't beat the warranty!

CAB509 07-26-2010 08:37 PM

Mine died with 200+ on the motor but the motor still ran fine... check out the sig. IT wasn't the motor that died though, it was the guard rail that killed it. other then that the car ran wonderfully at over 200K and I loved my Audi and am going to get another one soon.

Fail, AZ has the millage on my Sig, I killed my car at 204K but she was still running like a champ

DanaB6 07-26-2010 08:38 PM

My cousin has a 00 a4 2.8 and he has over 225k miles. The only problem he had was some sort of tranny issue. But he fixed that and it's still running strong.

SPhilli911 07-30-2010 05:09 PM

I've been taking care of my car since I bought it and I hope that it goes to 200,000. That's my goal. Only about 50,000 to go.

jezj 09-29-2010 01:05 PM

My A4 Avant 1.9tdi is now at 227k and still going great, all i've replaced bar the usual since buying it at 86k is front arms, 1 clutch/flywheel and a power steering rack.