Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay In School
81.25%
Pack Up and Go
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Big Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Default Big Decision

I have this oppertunity to start a business but i would have to pack up and leave sunny Los Angles in California and stop going to college and move to San Antonio Texas, I dont know if it is going down yet but i was just giving this decision.

Stay in school for another 3 years or so and finish my business program or just get up and go and start up a small resturant. I always wanted to open a resturant also, this could be a great oppertunity but i don't know.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Big Decision

Stay in school. Then when your done and you have your degree, open the restaurant. If you don't finish school now, chances are you will not later.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

Cheng, this is a no-brainer. This is without a doubt, my biggest regret in life - not continuing on in school after Jr. College. There are so many more opportunities for someone with a college degree, it's almost a requirement. I'm basically topped out in my field because I don't have a degree.
Get 'er done.
One more advantage - It will be easier to attract investors in any business venture (restaurant) with a business degree.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:27 AM
2nd Gear

Screw that...you need to open your business. I've owned my own business for 2 1/2 years now. It's hard but now I've got almost 15 employees and am starting to take time off. Granted I have a business degree but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I learned in college has helped me get this far. Life and business is all about networking. If you have the chance I'd definitely take it...you can always go back to school but it's really really damn hard to find a good business opportunity.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Administrator

i always planned to finish skewl and start a career and save up money and open a resturant on side

Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 AM
2nd Gear

Man there's no time like the present. Seriously, what do you have to lose? You can go back to school any time. My business wouldn't be open if I hadn't got fired from a corporate job at the age of 23 and I'd probably be some schmuck working at an office with a tie every day. But instead I'm gonna semi-retire when I'm 30. It's your call but if you can make a business work then why wouldn't you?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Administrator

i am 21 i have some time left

Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 AM
4th Gear

School all the way man, you won't be able to find the time to go back if you leave.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: drkenan

Granted I have a business degree but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I learned in college has helped me get this far.
Sadly, many times college is not about learning anything. Just about that little piece of paper you get at the end. Nothing you learned might have helped you, but can you honestly say that just having the degree didn't give you any opportunities that you might now otherwise have gotten?

If I were you Panda (which thank GAWD I'm not ), I would flip a coin.

No, ok, really. It's a hard choice. School is important, whether you're actually learning anything, or just proving to the university that you already know it and that you deserve the degree. But sometimes business chances come along once, and it might never be as easy again. You should look instead at related factors. Why do you have to quit school? Would the money that's currently paying for school need to be infused into the business? Is it a time thing?

If it's money, try to see what you can do about it. Many time smaller, cheaper community colleges offer courses that will transfer back to your final degree. Apply for grants (the worst thing they can do is say "no", right?). Student loans are usually a bad idea, but find out how much the loan will cost by the end of the term and compare that to how much it can make you to find out if it makes sense in your situation.

If it's time, you should know by now after however many classes towards a business degree that one of the most important things for a business owner to do is to properly delegate responsibility. Find people that you know you can trust if you need to be out of the building for a few hours everyday, or take the redeye classes, even some correspondance courses would at least keep the ball rolling until you can dedicate more of your time.

This is America (cue national anthem here), the land of "can be done". There is no reason that you can't do both if you really put your mind to it and bust some *** for the next few years. Besides, the RiverWalk in San Antonio is one of the coolest places I've ever been, and I've been to most of them.....

Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 AM
2nd Gear

im only 17, but maby this kind of perspective is needed..

first, the government can audit your restarunt away, however they cant audit your brain...

second, the caliber of buisness that you could open now, can only be precieded by the caliber of buisness you can open when you FINISH your degree and learn...

i dont have much experience to back it, but its what i'v always been taught...

BTW, when you open your steakhouse in SanAntonio Texas, I would be happy to come and eat at it... providing its free.. c'mon whats a little t-bone between audi lovers?

lol

Quick Reply: Big Decision