Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Big life changes for a simpler life...

Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear
Default Big life changes for a simpler life...

Anyone have any stories to share - either from personal experience or second hand knowledge - of people who have made huge changes in their lives so they can live a more simple existence.

Example: I know of a Corporate Lawyer who was making 300K per year at 35yo, who quit his job and moved to Fairbanks, Alaska to start a snowmobile touring company.

I'm strongly considering a change and wanted to hear from anyone who has/knows of such experiences.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Big life changes for a simpler life...

This isn't a change to a simpler life, but a compelling story none-the-less. A great read to be sure. Just so you know, this site hasn't been updated in over a year, but there have been promises to update. The link to the first entry is at the bottom of the intro.

http://www.hoo-ah.net/

Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: jukeit

This isn't a change to a simpler life, but a compelling story none-the-less. A great read to be sure. Just so you know, this site hasn't been updated in over a year, but there have been promises to update. The link to the first entry is at the bottom of the intro.

http://www.hoo-ah.net/
Thx, an interesting read.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

why do you want to make this change?
Is it spiritual or just for the change of pace?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:39 PM
18T
4th Gear

money often cant buy happiness.. or at least it can never buy true happiness. i know alot of people that just loose themeselves in money and like your friend, one day wake up and realize holy **** what did i do all these years. Nothing can bring you peace and happiness like a simple life.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:57 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: sadize

why do you want to make this change?
Is it spiritual or just for the change of pace?
Spiritual I believe. I am just not happy. I have been fighting this for a long time and I am coming to the realization that something significant must be done to amend the situation. I am not necessarily a stranger to significant change as I have been through two life-altering changes already but this is more on my terms.

I have a good life, great family, good job, good health blah blah but something seems to be missing? I am surrounded by material items that brought me instant gratification, then fade away like mist in the morning. I find no excitement or fun in anything anymore, and I want to get back to basics. There must be more to all this???

Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

The first thing most people seem to want to do when they get to a point like this in their lives is to change the way they live drastically. They feel that because they're not happy, then they must not be doing things right, or not doing the right things. The problem with this is that they are defining themselves by what they do or have done, not who they are or could be. It's an outlook problem.

I have known a few people who have given up a hugely profitable career for a more simple, rewarding life, and for some it works, but for most, it simply masks the internal problem of of not having an answer to the "why?" question that so many have. One girl I know here gave up being one of the most acclaimed showgirls of recent history to become a Yoga instructor. For her, it worked. She's happier than ever and it shows when you look at her, she's found her place. However, another guy I know, gave up being a rater successful realtor to restore vintage Chris-Craft boats on Lake Mead. Now he's not only unhappy just like he was before, but he's poor and has to worry about putting his kids through college, making the mortgage on time if at all, and how many times a week they can order pizza without cutting the budget too close. Yeah, that didn't work out so well for him.

So before giving up whatever it is that you do now that obviously is providing well enough for you and your family, and taking off to do whatever simple life thing you might be considering, try to figure out what it is that's missing first. It's quite possible that just changing jobs/location won't find it. No matter what you're doing, your outlook will affect your mental well-being more than anything.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

The first thing most people seem to want to do when they get to a point like this in their lives is to change the way they live drastically. They feel that because they're not happy, then they must not be doing things right, or not doing the right things. The problem with this is that they are defining themselves by what they do or have done, not who they are or could be. It's an outlook problem.

I have known a few people who have given up a hugely profitable career for a more simple, rewarding life, and for some it works, but for most, it simply masks the internal problem of of not having an answer to the "why?" question that so many have. One girl I know here gave up being one of the most acclaimed showgirls of recent history to become a Yoga instructor. For her, it worked. She's happier than ever and it shows when you look at her, she's found her place. However, another guy I know, gave up being a rater successful realtor to restore vintage Chris-Craft boats on Lake Mead. Now he's not only unhappy just like he was before, but he's poor and has to worry about putting his kids through college, making the mortgage on time if at all, and how many times a week they can order pizza without cutting the budget too close. Yeah, that didn't work out so well for him.

So before giving up whatever it is that you do now that obviously is providing well enough for you and your family, and taking off to do whatever simple life thing you might be considering, try to figure out what it is that's missing first. It's quite possible that just changing jobs/location won't find it. No matter what you're doing, your outlook will affect your mental well-being more than anything.
Thx Silver, you made some excellent points to consider. I don't know yet if I am ready to upheave my life as drastically as some, but starting as of this Christmas-time I am seriously going to begin to remove excess from my life and start to move towards a simpler life where I am at. And more importantly, I am going to take a close look at me, and how I perceive things internally.

You are spot-on about 'outlook'. I guess it is I that has to change first before anything else in my life. And another point you made that hit home is, due to whatever reason, family pressure, the pressure I put on myself, what "society" deems is "normal", I have always defined myself by what I do and not who I am, like you so rightly stated.

Thx for the wise words man, I appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 PM
5th Gear

travel the world. take one, long trip for at least 2 weeks, preferably longer. go to as many different regions of the world as you can afford. forget all the tourist spots (most of europe, hawaii, mexico, canada, etc). go to thailand (watch out for pick-pocketers), australia, china (watch out for people peeing in the street), india, egypt, south africa (watch out for pirates), alaska, the indonesian islands...stay a few days in each spot and just explore. you'll feel much, MUCH better when you get back.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 AM

The only seriously gratifying experience is found in giving to people.
And I'm refering to giving them something that changes their lives and helps them become happier and healthier or more at peace with themselves.
The only catch to this actually working is that you have to have "it" to give "it". Or, to say what I actually mean, you have to have it to recieve it. So, you can fake it and someone else can get it, but you wont get it, your full of it and you know it.

To be bold, I would say, your close, really close, but you know you don't have it (hence the way you currently feel)...you better find it, cause you won't rest till you do (which is the only way to get there).

Personally, I think you might make it.

(I'm not quantifying this with a "IMHO" bullshit either...I'm not humble...I drive an Audi.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big life changes for a simpler life...