Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy this B6 A4 or not??? HIGH MILES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Buy this B6 A4 or not??? HIGH MILES!!!!

Hello forum! This is my first post, although when I owned my first B6 A4 a few years ago, I referenced many threads here. Now I'm looking at buying another B6 and I needsome help from all of you!

what I'm in the market for is a Relatively inexpensive car that I can load miles onto for car pooling to work. I just sold my E46 because it was burning too much oil for me to keep it. About a quart every 300 miles to be exact. Although I got the car super cheap and got nearly everything on it straightened out except for those shitty M54 low tensions oil control rings. Well now that it's gone. I'm looking to replace it, I don't have a lot of money to spend... but I think I might have found a deal.

an hour and a half away from me is an 04' 1.8T FWD A4. 5 speed, black leather seats, loaded of course thanks to the Germans. Seems to be maintained well, most paperwork in the glovebox is from her local Audi dealer. The car had been purchased new by her father, and then two years ago she bought it from him. Clutch is 4 months old. Tires have tread left but seem to be pretty cheap, she says they're 8 months old, seems truthful. Father says timing service was done 3 years ago. Here's what's making this tough on me.... 240k miles. Coolant is transparently pinkish reddish unlike my last B6 which had a nice milky brown color to the coolant. Audi oil filter on it now so I trust the oil services have been done properly. Here's the known issues and reason for her selling - hard idle one day so she took car to dealership. They told her two coil packs needed replaced as well as an oil level sensor and an oxygen sensor. Dealer told her not to drive it as it is and quoted her a ridiculous price to do the work. She doesn't know how to fix the issues and doesn't wanna pay that much for the work and is wanting to upgrade into a larger car for hauling her babies. She was asking $2k.. then mentioned to me she'd be willing to do $1200.. in thinking of offering her a grand.

I want some input...
heres what I would do once buying the car - all new coil packs from ECS with spark plugs, valve cover gasket because it seems to be leaking slightly, as well as do the whole timing service myself. She already bought an oil level sensor so I can throw that in while I'm working on it.

should the miles worry me? For the price and what I'm wanting to do with it? Interior is clean, exterior is clean except the stupid gray skirt around the sides and bottom of the bumpers are fading badly so I'd paint match those pretty quickly.

Input please!!!!!!!!!! Everything she has stated that's wrong with the car checks out with my scanner.

Thanks for reading!!