Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
It's art
34.62%
Vandalism
15.38%
Depends if u got permission to bomb the wall
46.15%
Grafitti is life
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Is grafitti art or vandalism?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is graffiti art or vandalism?

Graffitti is an artistic form of vandalism

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: NuYorka103185

Graffitti is an artistic form of vandalism
hmmmm... I think that sums it up nicely

Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

its vandalism but its kool to look at, right? heh. how about marker grafitti? for example, some silver lettering on a hydrant. what about those?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

I see it as vandalism. Most taggers are marking their territory or rep'n their name/gang. It can look good in the right place when done tastefully. (not just a name) I have a 3-D pic hand made with just spray cans. If more people did stuff like this then I wouldn't mind leaving it on the back of my garage.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

90% of gaffiti is crap, which gives the people with some talent a bad name. I live close to some railroad tracks, and rail cars are a big target. I watch them go by sometimes, and you can see the same tags on alot of the cars. Sure, maybe the person who did it was trying to get his name out and see how far he could spread, but I am sure it was more just to see how many cars he could tag. But once in a while there is some really cool stuff on the cars. I am an artist myself, and really appreciate the creativity and vision some of these people have. It isn't like you can erase it if you mess up. You gotta know what you are doing and be confident with the can. Sure, the New York subway graffiti was out of place, and sure, it was someone else's property, but some of that stuff was amazing. It was a museum on wheels. And as far as not painting on canvas and not making money, most artists are not in it for the money. It is a way of expressing themselves, making a statement, not only with the work they do but alsoin the forum in which they choose to display it.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:41 PM

graffiti isn't art and can be intimidating like when your walking round in some places that look shady your waiting to get jacked/mugged or hope you dont fall over some used needles ( its territorial and tribal caveman instinct to say the least ) on canvas its transportable so has some value and at least it can be taken on show,

even artist have to eat

Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

Art should be put on paper/canvas. When its put on someoneelse'sproperty it is vandalism. I can respect artists and them wanting to "express" their abilities, but not on my grandma's garage or fence! If if you want to spray something then do it in YOUR garage. I see it this way, you want to create something but dont want to store all these pics you made. So you get creative on someone else's property so they can clean it for you to make a new 1.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM

^^ 100%

Old 05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

but its cheaper and easier than an exhibit

Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

i like that graffiti has evolved from just simple taggings to elaborate artwork..m but recently it seems to be going back to just the simple taggings

i appretiate it from an artistic standpoint... but i can see how it would become annoying