Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Her Name is "Ms. Ann"

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
4th Gear
Default You must see: Her Name is "Ms. Ann"

This has got to be one of the most interesting speeches I've heard from a bully pulpit in quite some time.

Warning: It starts off anti-Obama - then goes to an entirely, but honestly truthful historical accounts and then ends totally unexpected!

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEc-nFULY8

Last edited by Palindari™; 10-22-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM

He "wants a color blind society"? and gives a 10 minute speech about black people.

It seems that if he is critical of a certain race, and draws distinctions between races, then in his view race is a factor and a "color blind society" would be a dishonest representation of reality. Maybe what he is saying is that what people want (color blindness) is contradictory to the way things actaully are. He is implying that race distinctions do exist and are apart of accepting reality.

I cannot really give an honest evaluation of the conclusion becasue I am white and will be judged accordingly because in fact society is not color blind.

From this speech, his position on Obama is confusing. He blames black people for voting for Obama as a black man because his mother is white, but he also critisizes black leadership. If Obama is not truly black, then he is not included in the Pastor's negative stereotype.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
4th Gear

Exactly!

As he points out that black men do not understand the world and makes a convincing argument of it - his opening diatribe makes a little more sense.

It was funny to see how is argument played out. Though I disagree with his assessment of whether Obama is black or not (technically he is both black and white) I couldn't argue about his conclusion on the failure of African nations and how that mindset seems to prevade to blacks here in America.

This argument is not new. Bill Cosby is not well liked because he holds the same points of view when it comes to the black race - not Obama.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM

When he says that he would "vote for a color blind society" or that he would sign up for it, his intent is less clear to me. I think he is saying that he "wishes" that society could be color blind but the reality is that there are distinctions between races which must be accepted. But hes not clear on this point so I have to speculate somewhat.

Like I said before, I am not comfortable discussing black leadership, nor am I educated on it.

The way he delivers the message, and the sequence of the argument is certaintly interesting. This is the type of honest discussion that Dr. Gates wants to encourage.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Administrator

As with MANY Americans, the orator appears to be tolerant of any and all who share his viewpoint, and little else.

CLEARLY idiocy knows no racial boundaries, so, in that regard he has found his "color-blind" ideal, at least.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Administrator

The issues he attempts to address from a "color" standpoint are not "color" issues. If Men-of-color were are useless as he supposes this world would surely be much worse off. I will not engage in defending that which clearly does not need to be defended against the likes of this fool. You can look up accomplishments of Men & Women of ALL races, creeds, colors, and religious backgrounds in your closest encyclopedia, for yourselves. The same as you can look up in history books the wrongs that have been done by people of all races, creeds, colors, and religious backgrounds.

Are ALL Caucasians swindlers and cheats because Bernie Madhoff made off with hundreds of millions of OPM? Hardly.

An ASShat is an ASShat, regardless of it's socio-ethnic origins. This tool is obviously another ASShat.

That's my $0.02

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
4th Gear

lol... agreed.

What I found interesting was his reference of growing up on a plantation... and the reference to Obama's mother's name was Ann... the whole argument spun wildly but to a conclusion I never would have suspected.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Administrator

Within the traditional Afr-Am community the "Miss," and "Mister" honorific is also given as a sign of respect for an elder, in case you didn't know. Older relations, aunts & uncles and cousins and neighbors & such are often (still) referred to as, "Miss" or "Mister" so-and-so <their given, or first name, not their familial-name>." That fool preacher KNOWS THIS, TOO, especially since he apparently grew up more than 150 years ago, on a plantation. If he had actually GONE to a REAL school, instedda gettin his diploma in Scatology at Likka-Sto-U, he would ALSO know that almost EVERY aged culture DOES this sort of honorific for elders, respected or not. Sadly, Euro-American culture does not generally do this. Elders are mostly discarded, as opposed to being revered for their knowledge, wisdom, and vast experiences. I see him as headed for just such a fate, to be bestowed upon him by his progeny.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Sadly, Euro-American culture does not generally do this. Elders are mostly discarded,
Unfortunatley, you are participating in the same type of stereotyping that you critisized the Pastor for preaching. To say that Af-Am generally treat their elders better than Euro-Americans is similar to saying that Euro-Am are better leaders of nations that Af-Am.

I could continue this reasoning further, but again I restrain myself as a white person who enjoys much less freedom and tolerance when it comes to discussions about race.

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
If Men-of-color were are useless as he supposes this world would surely be much worse off. I will not engage in defending that which clearly does not need to be defended against the likes of this fool. You can look up accomplishments of Men & Women of ALL races, creeds, colors, and religious backgrounds in your closest encyclopedia, for yourselves.
For anyone who does not watch the video but only reades the posts, I should clarify that the Pastor never said that men-of-color are useless or have never accomplished anything.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Palindari™
What I found interesting was his reference of growing up on a plantation...
I was confused by this point also but didnt mention it because it is not crucial to the argument. He was born in 1947 so I must assume that he did not grow up on a plantation. When he says "I" he may be referring to the his black ancestry. The speech itself is designed to captivate and should not be interpreted in its strict literal sense.