Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just contacted Audi North America with a complaint

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default Just contacted Audi North America with a complaint

I posted this in the dealership thread as a warning, I post this here for others to view and provide suggestions. If you have lodged a complaint in the past please share your experience here, what the complaint was for, how audi north america handled it, etc. If you have filed complaints with other agencies such as the better business bureau please share those experiences as well.

It's a long letter sorry!

This letter is in regards to Rockville Porsche Audi, which at the time of occurrence of the below listed events was located at 1450 Rockville Pike, Rockville MD 20852, Montgomery County. The dealership has since moved to a new location directly across the street from the old location. Work was done here, at the old location, on my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro sedan. Allow me to apologize in advance for the length of this letter, but as you will see this letter covers numerous related events over a long period of time. I will be as brief and concise as possible.
I had used this dealership to perform my 50,000 mile maintenance and to check on a malfunctioning front passenger side window button. The car was dropped off June 28th 2007 and picked up the next day. The service advisor in this case was Diego Minda. Diego advised me that I would “require” a new window switch which had been special ordered and that the vehicle looked well from the 50,000 mile check up. When I was given my keys to the vehicle I pointed out that the key to my home was missing from my Audi key chain. No one at the dealership was able to locate the key or provide an explanation as to why it was no longer on my key chain. It is the only key I keep with my car key and it was on the Audi key when I brought my vehicle in. Being a police officer I take the security of my home very seriously and now due to the carelessness of dealership staff my home’s security has been compromised because there is a key to my home which is unaccounted for. This was only the beginning of my problems.
A few days later the window switch arrived and I brought it home to install. The window switch cost me $40.91. I installed the new switch and still had the same problem. A closer inspection revealed that the housing attached to the door panel which held the switch was loose and needed to be tightened. I put the original switch back in and it worked perfectly. The cost to fix the actual problem was zero dollars and took under five minutes. The new switch was not needed and it appeared that the dealership had not bothered to check the problem, but simply guessed it needed a new switch. Even still, these problems pale in comparison to future problems I would have with this same dealership.
Sometime in August a problem developed with my Audi. My check engine light came on and shortly after my electronic stabilization program light came on as well. Being a person familiar with cars I hooked my car up to an ODB scanner in order to check on the error codes that came with the check engine light. There were numerous codes stemming from more than one system in the vehicle such as ABS, engine control, and transmission. The car would also jerk violently at random intervals while driving, once or twice a week. In addition the car would sometimes stall out and shut off while standing motionless with the engine running. This worried me and I had to make a decision on how to remedy this situation quickly and professionally. The most obvious solution was the local dealership, Rockville Porsche Audi. Though work done in the past wasn’t fully satisfactory, one can reasonably expect the dealership to be the most reliable source for vehicle repairs.
I reported the problem and brought the vehicle to the dealership on August 7, 2007 at 1456 hours. I explained the problems to the service advisor, Daniel Martin. I also gave Mr. Martin a written explanation of the problems that the vehicle was experiencing along with a list of codes that I had pulled from the electronic control unit. This was done in an attempt to assist mechanics with their diagnosis. The next day I was contacted by the dealership in the early morning hours with the news that they believed to have found the source of the problem, the mass air flow sensor and vacuum leaks. I was asked for permission to install a new mass air flow sensor and repair vacuum leaks in order to fix the vehicle, I gave them permission to do so.
A few hours later I was again called by the dealership with news that a new mass air flow sensor had been installed and that the problem still existed. I was informed that the old mass air flow sensor was still in working condition, so it was installed back into the vehicle and the new mass air flow sensor was placed in my trunk. Mechanic’s noted that I had installed a new air intake system and believed that this may be the source of the problem. I was asked to bring the stock air box to the dealership so they could attempt to swap it. I brought the part over and it was installed into the car, the problem still existed and the stock air box was removed from the car. I was called again the next day by the dealership asking for permission to check wiring and diagnose the electronic control unit. Again I granted permission for them to do so. A few hours later the dealership called and informed me that they had checked wiring and diagnosed the computer but had found no problems.
The vehicle was returned to me in the exact same condition that I had dropped it off to the dealership in. I was charged $296.58 to repair the vacuum leaks to include parts and labor. I was not given or shown the old parts which were replaced. I was charged $327.22 for the mass air flow sensor and the installation of it; I was given the new mass air flow sensor which I did not need. The dealership told me that I had modified the car’s computer and that this was the source of the problem. I was told the car needed to either have the electronic control unit put back to normal or buy a completely new one from the dealership for over a thousand dollars. The total of the bill was $664.49 and I was without my car for three days.
A week later I came into contact with a mechanic in Cloverly MD, Speed Tuning USA, who specialized in customizing Audi electronic control units. I provided him with the information given to me by the dealership and described the work that the dealership claimed to have done in order to help him narrow down the source of the problems. This mechanic checked my ignition, spark plugs, and starter with the notion that my mass air flow sensor was in working condition; according to the dealership. The mechanic was unable to find any problems with the ignition system and came to the conclusion that the programming may be the issue, as the dealership stated. The mechanic loaded his own program onto the computer and found the problem still existed. His next suggestion was to try the other remedy given by the dealership, replacing the entire electronic control unit. Instead of paying thousands for a brand new one, the mechanic was able to purchase refurbished electronic control units for $250.00.
After installing the refurbished electronic control the mechanic found that the vehicle was still having problems, my original electronic control unit was placed back in the car. On August 22nd, 2007 at 1513 hours I paid $617.40 for the electronic control unit, installation, and diagnosis. My vehicle still had the same problems and I now have an extra mass airflow sensor and electronic control unit. I was again without my car for three days. At this point I began considering selling the car because it seemed that no one would be able to figure out what was wrong. This was the last thing I wanted to do because I truly enjoy driving my Audi and the thought of losing it was most disturbing. I decided to try one last shop and this time I would have the shop start from the beginning, ignoring what others had checked.
I now took the vehicle to New German Performance in Aberdeen, MD, who had worked on my car in the past and done an exceptional job. It is important to note at this point that the car was brought to this shop in the exact same condition that it had been brought to the dealership in. I did not go to this shop first because Aberdeen is over an hour away and is a large inconvenience if I need to drop the vehicle off, given the past experiences with shops regarding this problem, I knew that this would be the case. I freed up some time with my work schedule and planned on dropping my Audi off in the next few weeks. I also made arrangements with a rental car company. I dropped the vehicle off October 9th 2007; I was told the car would be checked the next day. On October 10th 2007 I received a phone call from the shop in the early morning hours. I was told that the car had already been fixed and was ready for pick up. I rushed over after work and spoke with mechanics. I was told that after diagnosing the computer the mechanic opened the hood, looked at the mass air flow sensor, and almost immediately saw the problem.
The first thing the mechanic saw when looking at the mass air flow sensor was a large group of wires leading into it which were now exposed, burned, and melted. The mechanic replaced these wires in a matter of minutes, started the car, and saw that the problem had been completely remedied. The mechanic was astonished that the dealership had replaced the entire mass air flow sensor and missed the obviously damaged wires that lead directly into it. The wires were visible with the hood in the open position and fed directly into the sensor. The dealership supposedly handled this assembly and the air box assembly, but missed these blatantly fouled wires which were a key point in the air flow management system for the vehicle. I was not upset with the Speed Tuning USA mechanic because I told him this part of the car had already been “thoroughly” checked by Rockville Porsche Audi and was said to be in working order. I was given the wires that were replaced, the problem was very obvious. The wires were melted together with burn marks and busted seals. These melted wires did exist when the car was at the dealership because it was the source of the malfunctions which the car was dropped off for.
The wires cost a total of $12.00 dollars and the repair was done in a matter of minutes. The total bill from the third shop was $352.60; the diagnosis was $340.00 of this. The cost of renting a vehicle was $73.59. In the end I spent $1,748.99 (this includes the cost of the unnecessary window switch from my first visit to Rockville Porsche Audi) and I was without my car for a total of approximately nine days. All this because the dealership failed to do the job I was charged for when I first brought the vehicle to them. Needless to say I was downright outraged by this. I no longer use this dealership for any service to my vehicle what so ever, I now use Tischer Audi in Silver Spring MD.
On November 15th 2007 at approximately 1700 hours, I visited Rockville Porsche Audi at their new location, 1125 Rockville Pike, Rockville MD, 20852. I spoke with service director Barbara Portalea, informing her of the situation and providing her with receipts and bills which she copied. Ms. Portalea was very considerate, but was insistent that the wires could have easily been over looked. I told her that I disagreed with this statement because I was billed for an in depth check up for this air system which the wiring was a part of. Ms. Portalea was more concerned with the fact that I was charged for the mass air flow sensor when I did not need it. She was not focused on my main concern, work that I was billed for that was either not done at all or done very poorly. It was this lack of work or poor work that in the end cost me nearly $2,000, when it only should have been a tenth of that cost and time. The emotional aggravation this put me through, the inconvenience in being without my car, and cost has been detrimental to me. I depend on my car to get to work, even on my days off I depend on this car to get me to court for trials that I am a part of. To say that not having my car for so long was an inconvenience is a gross understatement.
Ms. Portalea wanted to keep the burnt wires and mass airflow sensor I had brought in to show her, an idea that I was not fond of. In exchange for the parts, which I consider evidence, she issued me one of her business cards with the date 11/15/07, the inscription “I have kept MAF + wire”, and her signature. I was told that I would hear back from her immediately and that she was very concerned by the situation. I have not heard from her or any representative of the dealership since and it is now December 12th 2007 at 1400 hours, nearly a month later. I have since called and left a message for Ms. Portalea, but have not received a response back. Something needs to be done and done immediately because this entire situation is unacceptable. A business should not and cannot operate in such a way. If a service is paid for it is reasonable to expect that it will be done efficiently and professionally. Neither of these qualities were displayed here.
Further ignoring of this problem will result in contacting the better business bureau and Montgomery County Government. Please do not perceive this a threat, but as a fair warning. I have begun at the bottom of the chain, the dealership, rather than going straight to government agencies in an effort to give your company, Audi North America, a fair chance in avoiding an embarrassment. I would like to point out that I absolutely love my car and plan on being an Audi customer for many years to come. It bothers me that one dealership could ruin the name of a great company, perhaps it is an isolated incident, but given the first visit where my house key was lost, I fear that it is not. I have taken much of my time to gather my receipts and review them in order to write this letter and have spent many hours writing and reviewing it. Everything you will find in this letter is accurate and I have proof of all statements. Any evidence or copies of receipts would gladly be sent at your request.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Just contacted Audi North America with a complaint

I read it all, well worded and well written. I hope it works out for you!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM

That sucks man. Hope you get some sort of response or resolution to the matter.

I take my car to FSK Audi in Frederick, and i'venever hada problem with their service.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: vnv727

That sucks, I doubt they wll reimburse you for the second mechanic. They might even claim the chip ecu and the intake made the engine so hot the wires melted..... Anyway they should at least refund all charges from the first dealership, and those days of renting a car.
I'm sure they will claim that was the cause. I hope they understand that I acknowledge that as a possibility and was willing to pay to have it fixed. Just turned out that where I took it to claimed they did all this work that was never done. This whole thing is very frustrating, I practically have built a case file on this. I feel like I'm at work. Audi America just called to say that they have received the letter and are reviewing the case. I will let everyone know what happens in the end, if I can stay out of court that would be great because it would be an overly complicated case.

Many thanks to those that read the whole letter, it's a mouthful, but it the length of it was unavoidable.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Rockville Audi Porsche charged me $1,000 to fix a snapped shifter in my TT. There is no reason a 1/2 piece of metal should snap off shifting from 1st to 2nd. During the fix they told me I needed to purchase a new Gear Shift **** (apparently they break when you remove them, this is a blatent lie) and a new shift boot (which when I picked the car up still had the old boot on, apparently the service tech did not know to replace, even though I was charged.)

The (b!tch) Barbara thought that a 10% discount was fair for my problems.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Notahondaowner

...it is now December 12th 2007 at 1400 hours...
You're writing this from the future???

Sounds like a load of crap; I hope AoA will help you out and get this all settled for you. Keep us updated!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

I posted this in the dealership thread as a warning, I post this here for others to view and provide suggestions. If you have lodged a complaint in the past please share your experience here, what the complaint was for, how audi north america handled it, etc. If you have filed complaints with other agencies such as the better business bureau please share those experiences as well.

Very well written. I had a good experience with Audi Of USA. I was not satisfied with the front rotors, and the dealer was not replacing it, asking me to replace it at my own expense. My point was that this is a fairly new car (at least at that time) and ever since I got it, the rotors were the problem. I took it to another mechanic (at Lee Highway, very knowledgeable) and he confirmed it too. So, I called the 1-800 no. and opened a case with them, took the ticket no. assigned to the case. The best part is, I got a call from the dealer in less than 30 mins, asking me to come next day with the car, and the rotors were replaced without any questions asked, or charging a penny. Also, I was paid for the charged incurred at Lee Highway workshop.

Even though, you letter is well detailed, I would still call them on that 1-800 no., ask them to acknowledge the receipt of the letter, and take the case no., cause once they open the case in their system, they have to resolve it in 48 hrs.

Hope it works out for you. Have you tried Audi of Alexandria?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MrFlippant

...it is now December 12th 2007 at 1400 hours...
You're writing this from the future???

Sounds like a load of crap; I hope AoA will help you out and get this all settled for you. Keep us updated!
Doh, ******* typo, thanks I called them and informed them of the typo and the correct date. Lol I bet they are thinkin, "damn this guy isnt kidding around" either that or "damn this jackass is ****"

Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Nocturnal_A62.7

Very well written. I had a good experience with Audi Of USA. I was not satisfied with the front rotors, and the dealer was not replacing it, asking me to replace it at my own expense. My point was that this is a fairly new car (at least at that time) and ever since I got it, the rotors were the problem. I took it to another mechanic (at Lee Highway, very knowledgeable) and he confirmed it too. So, I called the 1-800 no. and opened a case with them, took the ticket no. assigned to the case. The best part is, I got a call from the dealer in less than 30 mins, asking me to come next day with the car, and the rotors were replaced without any questions asked, or charging a penny. Also, I was paid for the charged incurred at Lee Highway workshop.

Even though, you letter is well detailed, I would still call them on that 1-800 no., ask them to acknowledge the receipt of the letter, and take the case no., cause once they open the case in their system, they have to resolve it in 48 hrs.

Hope it works out for you. Have you tried Audi of Alexandria?
I did call as well, I have a case number. I have been using Tischer Audi in Silver Spring and I think they are great, but I will keep Alexandria in mind thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
5th Gear

read the whole letter, very well written...keep us posted on the outcome!

Quick Reply: Just contacted Audi North America with a complaint